Fighting Over Bones - The Hunger Games

It was the nightmare that woke me. The same nightmare that haunted me the very night before the dreaded Reaping Day. I sat up in bed, my vision blurred and hazy as I hadn't yet fully wakened. I recalled the key moments in the nightmare. My name being called out by a tall, dark figure who hovered over the crowd. Me being forced into a huge hovercraft that teleported me into the arena, a dark place filled with tall dark things: Gnarled, twisted, leafless trees; tall towering figures, much like the one that had called my name using it's cold, raspy voice...

I shook myself, forcing my train of thought away from the dreaded Games. Mother would be calling me to the kitchen shortly, for a breakfast consisting of porridge and a dash of sugar, a treat that she prepared specially for the occasion, something to calm my nerves she would say.

I climbed out of bed, my feet clumsy and my head spinning. I entered the kitchen where I was greeted by my beaming mother who was setting the bowls out on the table. Her smile was a failed attempt to make me believe she was happy. Her eyes were sad. They always had been, ever since my made an attempt to escape our district, Twelve, and ended up being shot down by Peacekeepers. I was only two.

But now I was fourteen and my name was in that Reaping Ball sixteen times. Despite what Effie Trinket might say, the odds were most definitely not in my favour. I couldn't help but dwell over this as I sat down by the kitchen table, not saying anything, but eating up my porridge despite nerves. The taste of my mothers warm porridge reminded me of home when I was in the crowd, waiting for the Tributes' name to be called out.

I knew I shouldn't be pitying myself. I was going through the same horrors as every boy and girl of ages twelve to sixteen in my district. Luke had his name in that Reaping Ball twenty times and I knew he wouldn't complain. He had brothers to volunteer for him anyway. I'd be meeting Luke after I was ready to leave.

After eating the last of my breakfast in silence, my mother led me into her room. She brought out her finest dress, made of pale cream silk, and helped me tie the long lace at the back after I put it on, careful not to stretch or tear it.

My mother hugged me tightly and whispered in my ear...

"Keep safe Sweetheart... See you later..."

She would always wait five minutes after I left. She liked to give me and Luke some time to talk before we joined the trembling crowd in the town centre. Which would be in about ten minutes. I said goodbye to my mother and left my home, possibly for the last time.