I don't remember the exact moment I started to steal boxes that had been delivered to other peoples' houses that obviously did not belong to me or even why. Everyone feels greed and the need for something that isn't theirs and I guess I was one of few who actually acted on impulses. And from the first day, I couldn't feel any excitement for anything except for when I would steal peoples' packages. From the start I knew it was illegal and wrong, but it didn't stop me.

My car halted to a stop. Just like I had done previous times before, I looked around me for pesky nosy neighbors or any sign of residents being home at the place I had picked. There were no cars in the driveway and it wasn't like there was a garage to hide any cars. In the past, I had a house I was so nervous someone would emerge from their garage to catch me, but it didn't scare me enough to keep me away. I guess the best things were the hardest to get as I found in the box what seemed like a care package from a loved one. Clothes a size bigger than me, but still managed not to look too weird, new socks, money ($500 worth), food, and much more. It didn't bother me as much, but a part of me questioned whether it was a good idea to keep it but my greed overpowered any empathy as I kept everything without another second thought.

Once I was sure the coast was clear, I unbuckled my seat belt and took a breath in, holding it for a second before releasing. Even after several successful missions, I always was on edge. My heart would pound just as hard each time like a shoplifter getting the anxious sensation before they stepped through the alarms, each time breathing a sigh of relief and sense of accomplishment when it stayed silent as they walked through. It was the same exact feeling, the exact same rush. Only this came with more mysterious side, unsure of what you would get each time.

Getting out of the car, I closed the door carefully, not wanting a slamming noise to attract neighbors. Walking up the pathway to the porch that hugged the house on all sides, my eyes went right to the box, not big enough to hold a sixty inch TV, but not small enough to conceal just a piece of jewelry, my mind wondered what could be inside. Picking up the box, I could hear something not too heavy sliding around with other light things knocking around too. Book and papers, maybe? As an avid book reader, the thought of another book for my collection made my inner bookworm very excited. As I headed back to the car, I could feel my heartbeat racing, but slowing as I reached closer to my car. I could see how close I was, maybe a few sprints away but still it always felt like eternity to reach it as if time purposely slowed down to make me even more scared shitless than I already was.

"Excuse me, sir." An elderly woman's voice shook as she spoke, it wasn't threatening but more of a voice of curiosity. A part of me thought of running to the car and speeding off, but a mad man running and car speeding would surely attract more unwanted attention. It was would be admission of guilt stamped plain as day right then and there. A guilty man runs, but a smart guilty man walks.

I turned with the most charming smile I could muster, thankful for my mom forcing me to get braces to straighten my teeth out, it made me feel more confident to give my best TV worthy smile, "Yes, ma'am?"

"Are you new to the neighborhood? Never seen you before."

Shit. I couldn't break my facade even though I could feel my confidence melt away as I debated what to do. Should I say yes or no? I went with my gut instinct. "No, actually my wife's mail keeps getting her stuff sent here because of some postal worker screw up, so she has me pick it up if there's mail here for her." I felt it was reasonable enough.

"Can't rely on them postal workers." she joked.

I nodded my head, feeling like I was in the clear, "You're right." I chuckled at her naive innocence.

I was about to enter my car with the package before she spoke once again, "I couldn't imagine if someone else lived in that house." This time she said it with less of a humorous tone, but more of how people would react to the creepy house at the end of the road. Her body seemed to wince in discomfort as she looked upon the house.