Chapter Seventeen: It's Only Make Believe

Zacznij od początku

Izzy stiffened at the name.

"Yes, that one." Wes said.

"Do you live near there?" Judd asked Izzy. Although she was sure the question had no malintent attached, she immediately straightened in her chair.

"A ways down from there actually," she lied. This time her face had paled too much for her cheeks to give her away.

"Do you ever see any of those pregnant girls walking around?" Hank asked, leaning forward.

Something metal clambered in the kitchen. Izzy's stomach tightened and her chest suddenly felt like it was on fire.

"They don't usually make an appearance outside of that place," Judd said, opening his cigar box and and removing a cigar.

"What do they do with the babies? Do the girls keep them?" Hank asked.

"They adopt them out," said Judd, taking a puff of his cigar. "Kind of a racket if you ask me. I've heard they make out quite well on the adoption fees and donations. But, I suppose the place has its purpose, and the money keeps it running."

Izzy's throat was tightening, threatening to suffocate her. She was on the verge of springing up and fleeing the room, her hands twisting each other under the table. She took a faltering breath, desperately trying to hold it together. "Could I use the bathroom please?" she asked.

Judd got up and pointed her to a small bathroom in the hall. Izzy had every intention of escaping out of a window, but to her dismay, the room had no windows. She shut the door and glimpsed herself in the oval mirror above the sink. She looked pale, and older than before. Her cheekbones were more exaggerated, the fullness of her face gone. "What are you doing here?" she asked her reflection.

She couldn't run out. They'd discover her secret. He'd discover her secret, and she couldn't bear that. She had to get herself together and go back to the table. Eat lunch, laugh, then say her goodbyes. Frowning, she stared at her reflection. He was leaving for California the next day. She'd never see him again. Why did any of this even matter?

She turned the brass handle on the facet, running her hands in the warm water and splashing water onto her face. Standing back, she tapped her cheeks to bring back the color. Satisfied, she reached to turn the knob.

No one wants a woman who's lost her virtue. Sister Mary Thomas's words hit her like a punch to the gut. Her hand froze on the knob.

True, he wouldn't want her if he found out the truth. But, for the next hour, she was going to play the role of Cinderella, just like she'd done with Dottie on the beach. She was going to live in a dream, and when the time came, she was going go back to her real life. Only, in her story, she had to remember that there wouldn't be a happy ending.

Her mind made up, she turned the knob and walked back to the table. Betsy had the sandwiches laid out, and they were all patiently waiting for her. Wes flew up and pulled out her chair, then grabbed a large pitcher of lemonade and poured her a glass.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"Oh yes, I'm fine. I felt a little bit woozy. I've been out in the sun all day." she gave him a reassuring smile.

His returning smile melted her insides and somehow made the whole thing worth it. Next to her Judd nudged Betsy and she giggled. "Alright, we have tuna salad, ham and cheese, and turkey." She lifted the plate and doled out the sandwiches. "The boys are leaving for Los Angeles tomorrow, but they can visit here anytime they need a break," she hinted, her eyes sparkling.

"Yes, dear." Judd said sarcastically. He wrapped his arm around her. "You heard my wife. It's an open invitation, whenever you need a break. Pay no mind to the hard working producer who's placed his funds on the line for you boys."