I couldn't exactly call my mom and tell her to pick me up. She'd be worried out of her mind, disappointed. I wanted to prove to her, and maybe also to myself that I could do this, I could start being who I was, but I was wrong.

I hugged my knees to my chest, resting my head on my hands. Looking out at the open sea, I saw three dark silhouettes far out in the water. Taking a closer look, I saw one of those silhouettes paddle, and stand on a board, catching a wave. They were surfing. I smiled, how awesome was that? Night surfing. I've always wanted to do that.

"Susan, calm down." A muffled voice came from near the bonfire, but was clearly getting closer with each step. I glanced to where the sound was coming from. A boy with wavy, blondish hair was walking away from the bonfire, lightly kicking at some sand in his path. I couldn't really make out much else since it was dark, but I could tell he was on the phone. I stayed in my little hiding spot as he talked. Maybe to his girlfriend?

"It's fine. I'm sure he'll be back soon. You know how much he works-" He scratched the back of his ear uncomfortably as he was cut off. I felt bad eavesdropping on some stranger's conversation, but what was I supposed to do?

Maybe he'll go away. If he was looking for a place to have a private conversation, I was ready to tell him to shoo, this was my hiding spot. He should find himself another one.

Okay, who am I kidding? I'd probably apologize for being there even though I didn't do anything wrong and leave instantly.

I was so caught up in my possible scenarios, that when he came into my direct view, he was already staring at me, a puzzled and thoughful look on his face.

I groaned internally. Damn it. I didn't even react. I just stared back at him, eyes widened.

"I got to go, Susan. Don't worry, alright? He'll be back soon." He hung up and walked towards me. Oh, shit.

I was preparing my apology for eavesdropping and was expecting the blonde boy to say something along the lines of get lost you freak/stalker/loner.

"So you like eavesdropping, huh?" He asked me, a small smirk tugging on his kind, handsome face. His wavy hair was being tossed by the soft wind and a few strands fell over his face. Bold, blue eyes that shimmered even in the dark held mine.

"No, no, I wasn't eavesdropping, I'm sorry, I just-"

He laughed humorously. "I was just messing with you. Sorry. I hadn't seen you there and I thought no one was here so..."

"Oh."

Oh? Oh? Really, Sam? How much more dry can your attempt at conversation get?

"So what are you doing here, hidden away? Looking for a break from all that?" He nodded his head toward the bonfire and sat down next to me on the sand without a warning. I was kind of dazed by how nice he was acting.

"Yeah... You too?" I turned towards him, arms even tighter around myself.

He nodded and stared out at the ocean. "Yeah."
He paused. "I'm Alex, by the way."

***

"PB and J, Doritos in the middle." I stated confidently, while he thought about it for a while.