Chapter One

Liliwin's golden hair flew about her as she blocked Cynric's blow. His fighting staff clashed against hers, but the sound was lost in the noise of the training grounds. Liliwin smiled wickedly.

"I'm going to beat you, Cynric," she said, huffing with the effort of holding him at bay. Cynric was a strong, capable warrior. Not that Liliwin would ever admit to that; Cynric did NOT need an ego boost.

"In your dreams Liliwin," he shot back, smiling. He was pretty when he smiled, his dimples a sharp contrast against his pale, freckled skin. "I don't care who you are, no one can beat Cynric the Invincible!" Liliwin snorted in a very un-feminine fashion.

"Is that what you're calling yourself now?" He frowned and spun on his heels, going for Liliwin's shins. She jumped over the staff, turned, and shoved him with her hands. His broad back was damp from sweat. He fell forward a few feet, stumbled, and whirled around. Liliwin expected to see him upset, but he was smiling even more now.

"I daresay the student has surpassed the teacher!"

"Oh, please," scoffed Liliwin, going for the side of the neck. Cynric blocked. "You don't give yourself enough credit, Cyn." He grabbed the end of her staff, and yanked it away.

"Hey!" Liliwin yelled, "That's cheating! You can't do that!"

"Do you think that the Romans will care about the rules?" asked Cynric. Liliwin frowned. "They're savages, you know. They don't fight by the book, so you shouldn't either."

"I've heard," said Liliwin, balling her fists, "that they call us the savages. What do you think of that?"

"I think," huffed Cynric, "that they're no-good busybodies who like stealing land from unsuspecting peoples." He swept his staff against Liliwin's ankles, and she fell onto her back. Groaning, she threw her hands up in the air. Cynric smiled and offered her a hand up.

"I suppose I spoke too soon," he said, grinning ear to ear. Liliwin paused, her hands hovering in the air.

"Do you know what I think?" she asked innocently. Cynric cocked his head. "I think that was a lot of fancy words for a dim-wit to use. Congratulations." He withdrew his hand.

"That little comment cost you a peaceful surrender."

"Who said I was done?" 

Liliwin smiled wickedly again. Cynric looked confused. Then, with him standing over her, she kicked out with both legs against his knees. They caved, and Cynric fell on top of her with a loud grunt. His rough chin dug into Liliwin's stomach, and she winced. She grabbed him by his long red hair, and slid out from under him. He howled in pain, and Liliwin felt a stab of guilt. But they were fighting, and when you were fighting someone, even for practice, you had to forget that they were your friend.

With one knee on his back, and one hand clutching his hair, Liliwin pulled, so his head rose. Grabbing the dagger she always kept in her boot, Liliwin held it against his throat.

"Do you yield?" she asked. He nodded, and Liliwin threw the dagger to the ground. It landed knife-down in the snow. Liliwin let go of his hair and removed her knee, and Cynric flipped himself over.

"You're good, Lili, I'll give you that."

And without another word, he was at her side, with a handful of snow. She moved to back away, but his arm encircled her waist, and he pulled her towards him. Liliwin's pulse began to race faster than it had when they had been fighting.

Cynric pressed the handful of snow against one of her cheeks. She winced. There was a gash there from a previous hunt, and it was beginning to hurt again. She supposed it had been hurting during the whole fight, but she just hadn't noticed.