Chapter 9 - Don't Be Cruel

Start from the beginning

"It's beautiful, Doug," she said, her eyes shining with unshed tears. "Thank you." Jess smiled, knowing how much the gift meant to her.

"You're welcome. I, uh, got something for you too, Jessica," he added more quietly, without looking at her, and pulled out a box identical to Annie's. When he held it out to her, he had his eyes on the box instead of her. She hesitated, hardly believing he'd actually bought her a present. Then it suddenly seemed very quiet in the hallway as everyone waited for her.

"Uh, thanks, Douglas," she said, taking it from him and he dropped his arms to his sides, still not meeting her eyes as he waited for her to open it.

The lid said 'Christian Dior' and when she lifted it, she wasn't surprised to see a scarf similar to Annie's. She took it out of the box and the silky fabric opened, revealing pink and yellow flowers on a pale gray background.

"It's - really nice," she said truthfully

"It's - really nice," she said truthfully. "Thanks."

"You're welcome," he mumbled, already turning around to close the suitcase.

When he stood up, Uncle Jonathon said heartily, "It's good to have you back, son. It's been too quiet here without you. We've missed you," and grasped Douglas's upper arm.

"Thanks, dad," Douglas said, his face lighting up with a smile, and Jess felt a pain in her chest watching them. The way her uncle had spoken made it sound like she hadn't even been there.

"I'll see you at dinner," he said, and walked out to the car where James was waiting for him.

"Let me take your suitcases up to your room, Doug," Annie said, setting her gift down on the table where the telephone was.

"I'll do it," Douglas offered. "I'm sure you're already busy doing other things."

"Jess and I are making your favorite dinner," Annie said happily. "Roast chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn on the cob, and apple pie for dessert."

"That's swell!" Douglas exclaimed, already stuffing a suitcase under his arm so he could hold another by the handle.

"Come along, Jess," Annie said, and Jess followed her back to the kitchen, looking at the scarf in her hands.

She was surprised by how pretty it was, and the label said it was silk. She knew it had to have cost a lot of money. Did Douglas really decide to buy her a present? Or did someone tell him to? Perhaps his friend's mother purchased the gifts and he just pretended he'd bought them himself. After all, what teenage boy goes shopping for women's scarves? But she kept remembering how excited he was when he gave the gifts to his father and Annie, like he was really proud of what he'd picked out for them. It was a mystery.

She set her scarf on the back stairs so she wouldn't get flour on it, and put the apron back on, ready to attack the pie dough again. That night at dinner, Douglas spent the entire time talking about his adventures in France and traveling around Europe. Listening to him, Jess felt jealousy rise up that he'd had such a great summer. But then she thought about what her summer had been like, and the jealousy melted away. She would never have met Marty if she'd been gone. He wasn't just her only friend, he was a really good friend. They'd had a lot of fun hanging out together and she wouldn't trade that for anything.