CHAPTER TWO - THEN

( perspective of leigha )

I shake my head furiously as Jayni goes over to the man. He looks dodgy. Jayni ignores me and saunters over, her plaits unravelling as the wind blows. I see the man smile and I reluctantly follow her. If he's smiling then he can't be bad right? Once I am beside Jayni, he lunges at us. Grabbing our arms he drags us  into his van and slams the door.

I look over at jayni who's squinting around.
"Listen," she whispers, " I watched this show about cars with my dad and they said there has to be a fire escape on the inside of the car. It is practically law. I will check the walls. You check the door kay?"
I nod, speechless as she remains calm whilst searching against each wall. I, on the other hand, are sobbing and am convinced we are going to be stuck in here forever. Taken to his home. Forced to be slaves. All of a sudden, my hands catch on something at the back of the door. A handle.
"Jayni! I found it. Look!"
She comes over and hugs me tight.
"Well done! Right, at the next red light, when we feel the van slow we open the door, jump out and run. We run so fast and so quick. Ok? We have to."

A few moments later, my hand still on the handle, we stop. I click it open and we jump. A feeling of dread comes over me. We aren't on a road, but in a driveway. His driveway. Jayni ia momentarily startled but grabs my hand and beguns to run. I run too. But seconds later, a sharp pain runs into my leg. A dart. Jayni has the same and we stop. Drowsiness takes over as we drop to the floor like bricks. The last thing I see is Jayni crying and mouthing sorry to me. That is the only time I have seen her cry. It shocks me. This must be bad. Really bad. I barely have time to reach out for her hand before I slip unded. Then, it all goes black...