Chapter 19

"My hands are sweating

"My hands are sweating. I'm so nervous" Claudia whispered to Hailey

They stood outside Dave and Busters waiting for their dates. The cool air of the evening whipped their hair around their face.

"You'll do fine. I promise you'll be happy about who thus guy is" said Hailey

"What's with all the mystery?" Asked Claudia

"Part of the surprise. Speaking of surprises. Here comes yours" said Hailey smiling at the boys walking towards them.

Claudia immediately grabbed Hailey's hand when she saw them. James and his friend and teammate Christopher Hails.

"Pinch me, I must be dreaming" Claudia whispered as they approached.

Hailey reached out and pinched her arm earning her a slap on the hand from Claudia.

"Hello ladies. Claudia you know my friend Christopher" said James

"Yea, hi" Claudia replied nervously

"You look great. I'm glad you decided to come" said Christopher

"I'm surprised its you" said Claudia

"Are you disappointed?" Christopher asked her.

"Far from it" she replied smiling at him.

"I guess our work here is done. We're about to go play some games, see you guys later" said James lacing his fingers with Hailey's as they walked away.

"You just became her favorite person, actually no her second favorite next to Christopher" said Hailey

"Honestly I wouldn't have known he likes her until he told me. I was actually shocked" James replied

"Believe me this one like number one on her list" said Hailey

They all spent the night playing games and even teamed up against each other to see who could win the most tickets. Both the boys won the girls Teddy bears and sat watching the fireworks. Hailey sat wrapped in James's arms with her head on his shoulder. They had their fingers laced together while playing with each other's thumbs.

"I'm scared" she suddenly admitted to him.

"I know. So am I but I have to believe we will be alright. I don't regret any of this. I don't regret you. I love you Hailey Giordano" he whispered

"I love you too" she said smiling up at him.

Hailey climbed onto his lap and pulled his face to her and kiss him. He smiled into the kiss and held her face in return. She pulled away and looked at him and smiled.

"You're killing me here" James groaned as he put his forehead on hers.

"I'm sorry" Hailey replied

"I don't think you are" James said chuckling.

"You're right I'm not" Hailey replied

James was quiet as he sat there holding her. Hailey started to feel tense when he didn't reply. She made to get off his lap but he pulled her back and sighed.

"You've made up your mind haven't you? You're not going to stop until we do this" James finally said

"Only if you want to" said Hailey

"You know I do" James replied in a strained tone.

"Then why do you always run away?" Asked Hailey

"Because I don't want us to do this then you regret it when I leave" James replied a bit too quickly.

Hailey put her finger under his chin and turned his face so he would look at her.

"How about the truth this time" she said when he finally looked at her.

"I know how it is once you finally have sex. You'll start wanting it all the time. I'm scared that if we have sex before I go..."

"You're scared I might start wanting some guy at college and forget about you" Hailey said finishing his sentence.

"Yea" he replied looking away.

"If you think that would actually be one of the reasons I might leave you then you don't know me at all" said Hailey climbing off his lap.

"I'm sorry OK. Can we just let things flow naturally? Let it happen if it happens, deal?" James replied holding his hand out for her to shake.

"OK deal. Just know I'm not going to make this easy for you" said Hailey

"What else is new" James replied smiling at her.

Hailey backed up her words by climbing back on his lap and kissing him once again.

"Get a room you two. There are children around here somewhere" said Christopher from behind them.

Hailey and James laughed, pulled apart then turned to look at Claudia and Christopher. They were pleasantly surprised to see them holding hands.

"Wow! Last we saw you guys you were arguing over who got the most cotten candy and now you're holding hands. The date is going good then?" Asked Hailey.

"Perfect" Christopher replied pulling Claudia to him.

Hailey turned to smile at James when she noticed Claudia blushing.

"You guys missed the fire works" said James

"Not really. We kinda had our own fire works session over by the tables" Christopher replied earning him a pinch on the hand from Claudia.

"OK too much information" said James

"Sorry hon" said Christopher to Claudia

"You're forgiven" Claudia replied smiling up at him.

"Awww you guys are so cute" said Hailey

"Well I don't know about you guys but I'm about to call it a night" Claudia finally spoke up.

"Sounds good to me" said Hailey looking at James.

"I'm not ready to say goodnight yet" James replied

"OK well, Christopher and Claudia my driver can take you guys home since you both got rides from us tonight and James you can drive me home. That gives us more time together" said Hailey

They all gave her mock salutes before saying goodnight to each other.

James drove Hailey home and they spent the night parked in her driveway talking until Johnathan came outside and sat on the doorsteps staring at the parked jeep as though it were a spaceship.