Chapter 12: Sweet Thang

Friday, November 24, 1978, Los Angeles, CA

Right now, I'm getting ready to see Prince in studio four because I really need to talk to him. I am really hoping that this goes as I planned it in my head.

I place my hand on the door knob that feels ice cold. Maybe it's my nerves but it seems to be colder than the last time I touched it. I slowly turn it and enter the room as I'm screaming silent prayers in my head.

I see Prince playing a song on the piano. I hear that it's 'Sweet Thang' by Rufus. Im kind of a sucker for that group. Really. I mean, I know every single lyric to every single song and Chaka Khan has a heavenly voice. Since Prince didn't hear me walk in, I start singing along to what he is playing in order to get his attention. "I just want to satisfy you. Though you're not mine, I can't deny you. Don't you hear me talking baby? Love me now or I'll go crazy." I sing along. I mess up by laughing. Prince stops playing and starts to laugh with me.

I give him a hug from behind before sitting next to him on the piano bench. I smile at Prince and he smiles back. "I remember that you have something to tell me." Prince says looking down at the piano keys. When he looks up at me, I look down at the piano keys, trying to avoid eye contact. "Uh uh. Look up here." Prince says, using his index finger to tilt my head up. I look into his dark but hazel orbs and fix my gaze there. I hesitate before speaking.

"Prince, please don't make me choose." I say out of the blue. Prince grows confused.

"What am I making you choose between?" Prince says with a confused chuckle.

"You and Charles. I get that you don't like him because of what he has done, but please don't be mad at me for my decision when the outcome won't effect you in anyway." I say trying not to regret what I am saying. "You know I love you and I can't just leave him. At least not today. It's just too much going on." I say in a frustrated tone of voice. Prince just sighs.

"Look. I am not trying to separate the two of you. I'm just trying to talk some sense into your pretty little stubborn ass head. Going back to the same guy who cheated on you ain't common since and I was just letting you know that. But hey, if you don't want to take my advice, then leave it. I am cool with it. I apologize if it seemed as if I'm making you choose between us. That wasn't the goal. Besides, you are gonna be my best friend regardlessly, either way. I'm in it for the long run." Prince says in a comforting voice with a warm smile.

I sigh out of relief. I didn't ever think that Prince would stop being my friend over this. I mean, come on. This ain't the fifth grade. But I am not gonna lie. I didn't know what the outcome of this whole meeting would be. I'm just glad that it turned out the way that it did. "I don't think you understand how happy I am to hear you say that." I say before leaning on Prince's chest.

I can't help but engulf in his scent. He legitimately smells amazing. Like his house, he smells like lavender and vanilla with a manly twist to it. Good heavens, I can't explain it but I love it.
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:--:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Prince's POV

I'm waiting on Patrice to meet me here in studio four. She called me this morning saying that she needs to talk. I can't wait to long without doing something so I move to the piano and start playing. The first song that comes to my head is 'Sweet Thang' by Rufus. I don't know weather it's because I'm thinking about Patrice and this is one of her favorite songs or if it's because this is what I'm feeling but it's what comes to mind. When I reach the second half of the first verse, I hear a beautiful voice start to sing the song behind me.

"I just want to satisfy you. Though you're not mine, I can't deny you. Don't you hear me talking baby? Love me now or I'll go crazy." I hear Patrice sing along.