Ch. 36 - Amanda Bynes Onesie

Start from the beginning

I roll my eyes at his drama, going to the den to find some markers and paper. I come back and almost scream when I see Jett holding a giant snake. "What the hell is that?"

"A snake," he says simply.

"Why do you have a snake?" I whisper-scream, stepping way back from the creature, unsure of what it might do next. "Where did you get a snake?"

"The pet store," he answers, once again sounding as if I'm clueless.

"It's huge!"

"Hey, why do you have to go body-shaming, Slytherinia?"

"Slytherinia?" I stand on one of the chairs in the kitchen, far from where Jett is with that slithering, venomous reptile. "I am not driving you with that...that snake in my car!"

"I told you already," he pauses, "Jonas already has a ride to the party."

I shake my head. "Jett, I'm not joking. I do not like snakes. You're going to have to find someone else to drive you. Like, call Nora and have Flynn drive. I don't really know. Who is Jonas getting a ride from?"

"His mom, I think..." He doesn't make eye contact. "It would just be awkward. We're not very close anymore."

"What?"

Jett shrugs and puts Slytherinia back in her cage. "Nothing. We've just drifted."

"Is Jonas being weird about you being gay?"

"No!" He rolls his eyes. "God, no. It's honestly nothing. We have different friends."

"You're going to the same birthday party."

"Well...it's a big party. Penny's a popular girl. She invited like half the grade."

I nod, not believing him. "Okay. Just make the card. I'll call Mrs. Kennedy for you."

"Thanks." He grabs the markers off the floor where I threw them and starts making the card. "Tell her about Slytherinia. I don't want her to be caught off guard."

I laugh and take out my phone to dial the Kennedy's home phone. It rings five times before going to voicemail. Just as I'm about to hang up, Elliott's breathy voice comes on the line.

"Ivy?"

"Hey," I say, almost forgetting why I'm calling in the first place, picturing Elliott running to the phone and debating whether to answer my call or not.

"Is everything alright? Are you okay?"

Stop it, you dumb fluttering butterflies. "Uh, yeah. I just...uh...can I talk to your mom?"

"Oh." I can hear the disappointment in his voice. "Sure. Let me go get her." There's ruffling on the phone followed by Elliott screaming for his mom. "Ma! The phone!" I hold back a laugh.

"Hello?" Mrs. Kennedy's voice rings in my ear.

"Hi, Mrs. Kennedy. It's Ivy. Jett needs a ride to the party and I know you are taking Jonas, so I wanted to know if you'd be able to take Jett? He's bringing this snake, and I am just very uncomfortable with a snake being in the car with me, and I get it if you are too. But I needed to ask."

She chuckles on the other line. "I can take Jett. Jonas is bringing a tarantula. What do you know about this Penny girl?"

We talk for a few minutes before ending the call. I go back to check on Jett. He's all ready to go. Bundled in coats and scarves, we wait on the front porch for Mrs. Kennedy and Jonas to come outside. Slytherinia is in her carrier on the ground, doing what snakes do.