Chapter 13: A Mercenary's Farewell and a Thief's Arrival

Start from the beginning

As I finished the last of my apple the door to Toralf's room was thrown open carelessly as the occupant staggered out, disheveled and eyes squinted as he came out into the brighter main room. Hissing slightly as he made his way over to us, he sat down heavily in a chair and closed his eyes, his breathing shallow and his facial features contorted in a grimace of pain. After a few moments of awkward silence, he got up again, walking stiffly to the counter and ordered another drink, to my utter surprise.

"Are you serious?" I asked incredulously, crossing my arms as I looked at the ginger-haired Nord.

"You've never heard of drinking away a hangover? ... Probably not, considering you don't seem like you've drunk anything stronger than water your whole life," Helgír answered, his tone neutral as he then turned to Toralf, "I sincerely hope you're just having one of those..."

Toralf managed a nod as the innkeeper brought him a drink, and he drank it slowly, sitting back down as he did so.

"... You're still going to try and join them, then? Even after what you did last night? One of them probably saw you drunk, more likely than not," Helgír asked Toralf flatly as he finished his drink, looking as if he were in considerably less pain than he'd been just moments before.

"Yes. I am. Even if they did, I don't think they'll be able to turn me down if they give me a chance to show them how I handle myself in a fight," Toralf responded, his confident tone wavering slightly as he stood up, "As a matter of fact, I believe that it's time that we should part ways. I ought to be getting over there now."

I blinked at him for a moment, unsure of what to say until I responded at last. "...I wish you all the luck in the world, then. May things go in your favor, friend."

Helgír remained silent.

After a long pause, Toralf went back to his room for a few minutes, and came out with all the things he'd brought with him before, and it finally registered in my mind that he was actually leaving. I bit my lip, feeling sad and slightly nervous about our party of three becoming two once again. Another reason to consider the thief, I suppose... Why does it seem like everything's working in his favor? Is it possible that he even has fate itself on his side?

As Toralf reached the door, he paused, turning back for a moment as he said, "Farewell, friends. I enjoyed traveling with company, for once, and who knows? Our paths may yet cross again."

And with those words, he walked out the door, not looking back.

I remained sitting for a few more minutes, staring down at the remnants of my boiled creme treat as I weighed my options. I wanted to go to Winterhold, but the Dragonborn clearly needed to go somewhere, and there was no way I was going to continue traveling on my own without him, and I certainly wasn't going to drag him with me when he had more important places to be. Places that a particular cutpurse claimed he knew of...

It's worth a shot. And if he does go back on his word... Well, I we'd deal with it then.  I had made my decision at last.

"Helgír? Mind if we go for a walk? ...It might benefit us."