•••Chapter 24

Start from the beginning

I slip the dress on, the silky material soft against my skin as it falls just above my knees. Now, I'm not the kind of person to take extreme pride in their appearance, but I have to say—this dress looks good on me. It flatters my short height, yet somehow makes me look taller at the same time. The dark blue is a perfect ratio to my slightly tanned skin, and I love the lace detailing on the neckline.

Nervously smoothing down the dress, I step out of the dressing room to reveal myself to Chloe and Abigail.

They both gasp, and Abigail's jaw drops. "Jenna, it's beautiful!" She gushes, grabbing my hands and twirling me around. "You look like a princess!"

I laugh. "Really? I like it, but do you think it suits me?"

Chloe smiles. "Definitely. You look amazing, Jenna."

I grin. "Thanks."

"Well, we all have our dresses, so what'd ya say we get some food?" Chloe offers.

"Food sounds amazing, right now." I say, strolling back into the dressing room to take off the dress.

Who am I kidding? Food always sounds amazing.

***

"RYAN GOSLING, or Channing Tatum?" Chloe questions, taking a sip of her root beer.

"Hmm," I ponder her question before grinning. "Definitely Ryan Gosling."

"Definitely," she chuckles.

"So, have you talked to Frank lately?" I pop a piece of popcorn into my mouth, smirking at Chloe all the while.

She blushes. "Why do you ask?"

I deadpan, saying, "C'mon, Chlo, I know you like him."

"No I don't!" She pushes my shoulder playfully.

"Yes you do!" I laugh. "Stop trying to deny it."

"Fine," she smirks. "But if I admit to liking Frank, then you have to admit to liking Tanner."

I scoff. "No way! I do not like him."

She smirks. "And pigs fly."

"I don't!" I persist. "Plus, I know he doesn't like me, so why should I get my hopes up?"

Chloe rolls her eyes, a smile on her face. "Abigail was right when she said you were clueless."

"Whatever," I throw a kernel of popcorn at her, turning back to the movie.

What does she mean, clueless?

The next morning, I wake up early to make breakfast for my family. That's right, you heard me correctly—I, Jenna Woods, actually slept last night. It's a freakin miracle.

"Good morning," Chloe trudges into the room, ruffling Lizzie's hair as she passes.

"Morning, Chlo," I greet. "You want an omelet?"

"That sounds amazing," she yawns.

Suddenly, the door bell rings and I rush to answer the door, my feet thudding agains the wood tiling of the floor. I twist the door knob and swing the door open.

"Hello—" my voice dies as I stand frozen in my shoes, an overly shocked expression plastered on my face. "What are you doing here?" I question, coming to my senses as a hard glare replaces my shocked expression.

"I just wanted to see you," my father mutters, his eyes roaming around the house. "This is a nice house—"

"Leave," I spit out.

He exhales heavily. "Jenny, please—"

"Don't call me that," I glare. "Only family can call me that."

He frowns, looking hurt. "Listen, I just want to talk things out. I feel bad that I haven't been there for you over the past couple years, and I want to fix things."

"Dad?" Lizzie steps outside, a confused expression fixed on her face.

My father grins. "Liz?"

"Chloe? Take Lizzie inside, now." I shout to Chloe, immediately ushering a confused Lizzie inside. "I need to have serious talk with you." I state, turning my attention back to the man in front of me.

"Sure," he licks his lips nervously, and I take this time to look him over. His black hair has faded to grey over the years, but his eyes are still the same. The exact shade of green that he passed down to me.

I close the door behind me, stepping down the steps of my porch and folding my arms over my chest. "I know what you did," I state, my glare unwavering.

He gulps, knowing exactly what I'm talking about. "I can explain—"

"There's nothing to explain," I cut him off once again. "You killed an innocent man, and that's the end of the story."

"It was an accident," he defends himself, moving closer to me as he raises his voice.

"I don't care," I say, trying to control my tears as thoughts of Tanner's father come to my mind. "What you did was horribly wrong, and you deserve to go back to jail."

He scoffs, saying, "I spent plenty of time in jail."

"Yeah, well it wasn't enough," I retort.

"You don't know what I've been through," he says, starting to raise his voice louder.

"No, you don't know what I've been through!" I yell, tears welling in my eyes. "You left us! And you were gone for over ten years!"

"I know, Jenna, and that's why I'm here," he pleads. "To say sorry."

"I will never forgive you," I spit out, a single tear rolling down my cheek. "Now, leave."

He sighs. "Please, just let me—"

"No. You will leave now, and never come back." I start back up the stairs, my hard demeanor steadfast in the hatred I feel towards my father.

I hear him huff from behind me. "Jenna—"

I turn back around one more time, saying, "And stay away from my family."

And with that, I slam the door in his face, sinking down to my knees as sobs rack my body.

***

Hello, my lovelies! Thank you so much for making this book #61 on Teen Fiction!!! I hope you guys liked this chapter and don't forget to leave me a comment on what you thought! I love reading feed back, and some of ya'll make me laugh so hard😂 Anyways, don't forget to vote and I'll see you later!

Enjoy(;

~Mae🌸