jenna

"In it's early stages, insomnia is almost an oasis in which those who have to think or suffer darkly take refuge."

~ Colette

***

RINGGGG RINGGGG

My phone alert abruptly wakes me from my restless slumber, causing me to groan as I roll over in bed.

"Make it stop," I whimper, using my pillow to try and block out the shrill noise coming from my cell phone. 

It's saturday, so I definitely don't want to get up, especially after finally being able to fall asleep at 5:30am last night. However, the ringing is relentless and I eventually give up, grumbling as I retrieve my phone from my bedside table.

"Hello?" I speak into the phone with a groggy voice.

There is a moment of silence from the other end before the shrill voice of Abigail reaches my ears. "JENNY! Oh thank goodness you are okay. You never called me last night to tell me how the date went, so I was coming up with all these scenarios in my head as to what had happened to you and I just couldn't stop thinking about it all night--"

"Abigail, calm down. I'm fine. I just forgot to call you, that's all," I say, my voice coming off slightly raspy.

I hear her sigh heavily in relief. "Oh, thank goodness. I thought something terrible might have happened to you and it would have been all my fault for making you go on that stupid date."

I chuckle. "Don't worry, Abigail, nothing happened to me."

She giggled. "Okay, good. So how did the date go? Isn't Jackson like, SO hot?"

I laugh at her statement, swinging my legs to dangle over my bed. "It was fine. He was cute and nice enough...I guess."

She exhales dramatically. "Oh my gosh. It sounds so amazing! I have to go, but you have to promise to tell me all the details at the hockey game tonight. Chloe and I will pick you up at six, okay?

I smile. "Sure. I'll see you then."

"Bye, Jenny."

"Bye, Abby." I hang up the phone with a sigh, falling back onto my comfy pillows.

I am looking forward to tonight, apart from the fact that I'll have to see Jackson again. Sure, I liked him and all, but he is Tanner's arch nemesis and it is definitely going to be awkward if Tanner sees me talking to Jackson. Or vice-versa.

***

THE REST OF THE DAY goes by pretty fast in anticipation for the game tonight. I haven't been to a hockey game in forever, not to mention I am excited to see my friends again. It almost feels like I'm living in an alternate reality sometimes. A reality where I have real friends and I'm actually happy for once. 

Grinning at the thought, I tie my hair into a side braid before slipping on my grey snow hat and grabbing my coat from the closet. Chloe told me that it will be kind of cold at the rink and that I should come prepared.

BEEP BEEP

I hear Chloe's car horn from outside, and rush to grab my purse, shoving my phone, wallet, and keys into it before slinging it over my shoulder.

"Bye, mom! Have fun at the movies!" I yell up to her, not waiting for an answer before scurrying out the door. My mom mumbled something about how she is going to the movies with a friend, so she has to drive the car today.  It's fine with me since I don't have work today.