•••Chapter 24

"Sometimes, all you can do is lie in bed, and hope to fall asleep before you fall apart."

~ William C. Hannan

***

"SO," CHLOE begins, "Has anyone asked you to the dance yet?"

"No," I grimace. "But, I don't think I even want to go; dances aren't really my thing."

She chuckles, saying, "Someone's in a bad mood. What, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?"

"I didn't have to wake up at all," I frown. "I was already awake."

It's true, I got zero sleep last night. Why do you ask? Because I couldn't stop thinking about my future. I'm extremely stressed about getting into a good college, and if I don't get this scholarship, then I won't be getting into college at all. I know that I still have the rest of the year to prepare, but I can't stop thinking about it. I need to start working harder.

"Hey, how about you come over tonight, and we can have a popcorn and movie night," Chloe says with a smile. "That'll cheer you up, right?"

"Thanks, Chlo," I smile.

"Hey, guys," Abigail smiles widely as she plops down next to me. "Guess who just got asked to the dance by Charlie Senatte?"

Chloe gasps. "No way, really?"

"Yes!" Abigail squeals.

I smile. "That's awesome, Abby."

"Thanks," she replies, her green eyes shining with happiness. "We need to go shopping for dresses soon!"

I frown, saying, "I haven't been asked yet."

"You don't need to be asked by someone to go to the dance," Chloe grins. "You can just go with us."

"Thanks, guys," I smile.

"So," Abigail starts. "Dress shopping after school?"

I grin. "Sounds good."

Friends really know how to cheer you up.

***

"WHAT ABOUT THIS one?" Abigail lifts up a bright pink body-con dress, an expectant look on her face.

I cringe. "Too much."

We have been shopping for at least an hour now, and I still haven't found a dress I like. It's not that I don't like wearing dresses, I'm just not that kind of person. I would way rather spend the night cozied up in my sweatpants with a mug of hot cocoa then go to a school dance, but my friends said it's a lot of fun every year so I guess I'll try it out.

I continue to rifle through the racks of fancy dresses, yawning as the effects of no sleep start to catch up to me. How come I'm always tired during the day, but then at night I miraculously can't seem to fall asleep? Curse you, insomnia.

I proceed to browse through the racks until something catches my eye. A gorgeous, dark blue a-line dress with long sleeves and lace detailing at the top. It's simple, yet classy, and it's probably the best thing I've seen yet. Might as well try it out, right?

"Oh my goodness," Abigail gushes. "Jenna, it's beautiful. You have to try it on!"

"Okay, I guess so," I grin shyly as Abigail ushers me over to the dressing room, an excited smile on her face.