Chapter 8

Finally Rosie had the chance to tell her story and when she began naming all those who helped her, Officer Tim put away his notebook and just scratched his head.

"I've never heard of any of these people," he said, puzzled, to Rosie's father, "you'll have to get her to tell you more later, Sounds like a very active imagination to me. Meanwhile, apparently no harm's been done so I'll just get on back to work. Call me if you find out anything." The two men shook hands and the family went into the house where Rosie's mom prepared their favourite dinner and they sat smiling at one another throughout the whole meal.

It seemed like a long time before her parents stopped asking about how and where she'd been and whom she'd met, they just didn't seem to understand. As the weeks passed, whenever she could, she would point out Cotton Batty, or Gil or Bert Butterfly and once, when they were out driving, Rosie pointed out Blue and waved excitedly.

Eventually, instead of trying to see what she was showing them, her mommy and daddy simply smiled and accepted Rosie's imaginary friends. They were happy enough knowing their little girl was safe at home and that whoever she met sounded like very nice, helpful people.

One day, when working in the garden, a light rain began to fall and Rosie's mother picked up her things and hurried toward the house. Just before she reached the door she stopped and stood still listening, confusion wrinkling her brow. Once, inside, she said to Rosie's father, "I heard the strangest sounds when the rain started. There was a number of them all running together."

Father looked up from his paper raising his eyebrows. "What kind of sounds?"

"Well I can't define them but it sounded like; skreeeek! badoooby doo bee, whooorsh, phuuumph, a cough a sneeze and a lot of sighing!"

Rosie giggled and bounced into the room, "That was them. My friends I told you about. Gil and Cotton and Bert and Blue and Mr. Gusty and . . ."

"Whoa!" said Rosie's father getting up and standing next to his wife, "what are you talking about? Don't start all that nonsense again now."

But Rosie was too excited. She bounced around the room babbling out, once again, the story of her adventure and came to an abrupt halt when the room was filled with the unmistakable sound of a loud 'Aaaaahh chooooo!' and through the window they saw a long bright streak of lightening.

"Cotton!" cried Rosie, skipping out of the room to the big window on the porch.

Rosie's parents walked slowly after their daughter shaking their heads and stood behind her looking out the window. They watched her waving at a small speck doing loops high in the sky and they listened silently as she called out, Gil! Gil!. A small thump from the hall drew their attention, and glancing back through the doorway they saw where the brightly coloured umbrella had fallen from it's hook on the wall and popped open, rolling in a lazy circle.