Chapter 4

Pretty soon the sky became a dark blue and Rosie could just make out the tops of some very tall evergreen trees in the forest below. "Oh Gil! It's getting dark. I'm afraid we're going to hit those big trees if Mr. Gusty blows us any lower. Do something!" But before Gil could even answer, they both crashed into the soft bows of the tallest tree and came to rest in a tangle of branches.

 Do something!" But before Gil could even answer, they both crashed into the soft bows of the tallest tree and came to rest in a tangle of branches

"Say! What's the big idea," said a surprised, soft voice, "you're making an awful mess of my hair."

Rosie looked around and saw a pretty face, with a puzzled expression, looking right at her. "Oh my," Rosie exclaimed, "I'm so sorry." And then she began to cry again.

"There, there," whispered the soft voice, "don't cry. It's just that you surprised me so with your sudden arrival. I don't get many visitors this way." Looking at Gil, the voice went on, "And who is this? You're an awfully large bird to be sitting on me don't you think?"

Gil sat up, straightening his feathers. "Krrraaaaakk! I'm with her and neither of us belong up here. This is Rosie. She was blown up in the sky by Mr. Gusty and I'm just trying to help her get back down to the ground."

The huge boughs swayed gently and the pretty eyes swung back to Rosie. "Ahaah. Mr. Gusty is always blowing things around that he shouldn't, but little girls, well that's a first for me. Listen Rosie, my name is Belinda Spruce. You can call me Blue, all my little friends do."

Rosie nodded and looked into the kind face. "You're so beautiful Miss Blue and I am sorry about your lovely hair."

Blue beamed a huge smile at the little girl. "Just Blue will be fine Rosie and thank you very much. My hair will be all right, and I think I'll be able to help you get down to the ground without any problem."

Rosie wiped away a tiny tear and said, "Oh yes? That would be wonderful, and thank you Blue. Thank you so much." She gave a brave little smile and nodded happily to Gil.

"Okay then, since it is dark now, maybe you and your friend should sleep up here with me tonight, and in the morning you can just slide down my arms. I'll keep you from going too fast until you're safely on the ground. What do you say? By the way," the pleasant voice went on, could you untangle your wing from my hair."

Blushing, Rosie did as she was asked. "You're very kind Blue, and I am quite tired . . ."

Blue swished her branches around making a comfortable space for her guests, "Hush then dear, you both just settle down and rest. I'll see you in the morning." And the two of them settled themselves in Blue's branches for a much needed sleep.

Rosie woke to a peck on the shoulder from Gil who was wide awake and anxious to get moving.

"Skreeeek! Wake up Rosie. Mr. Hottenbright's up and so is Blue. We have to get going if you're to find your way home soon."

Rosie rubbed her eyes and looked around. She could see way across the top of the forest to the hills where the river that ran past her house began . "I'm so far from home," she wailed, "how will I ever get back?"

       Blue shook her head slightly, swaying her beautiful branches, "Don't start your day like that Rosie," she said in her whispery voice, "let's get you down to ground first then have a look for my friend Bert Butterfly, he's always around at t...

Blue shook her head slightly, swaying her beautiful branches, "Don't start your day like that Rosie," she said in her whispery voice, "let's get you down to ground first then have a look for my friend Bert Butterfly, he's always around at this time and can probably help you find your way out of the forest."