Chapter 6

Rosie was excited to see the river, she knew it ran right past her corner. But looking at it, she realized that following the river would be almost impossible for her since it wound down through small gullies and past very thick scrub growing along the banks.

"Binga bing bong my dear, what's wrong?" Bert studied Rosie in confusion.

"Mr. Bert I . . ."

"Baboom baboom, just Bert my dear. Mr. Bert is my father, please."

"Sorry," said Rosie as she pointed down the valley, "it's just too hard for a little girl like me to walk all that way."

Bert fluttered up and down for a few moments then with a big loop through the air he landed again on the stump and exclaimed excitedly, "Fah boobie bee, listen to me. Tyler's the answer as you will see." And away he darted toward the river bank.

"Who's Tyler?" Rosie asked herself aloud, and Gil, who had just landed beside her, surprised her with an answer.

"Tyler Turtle. He lives in the river. Has for years and he knows it from end to end."

Rosie sat with a thump. "A turtle! How is a turtle going to help me get home?" The words were no sooner out of her mouth when slowly up the river bank came a big old green shelled turtle with sad droopy eyes and a butterfly perched on its shell.

"Rosie, reet beeta beet, I'd like you to meet . . . Tyler, smart as a whip but not too quick on his feet."

      Tyler gazed at Rosie with his sleepy eyes and mumbled a how-do-you-do

"Hello Mr. Turtle," Rosie gave a small bow, "Bert says you can help me get down the river to my house. I would be so happy if you could," she said doubtfully, "I was blown up into the sky by Mr. Gusty."

Tyler seemed to have fallen asleep, his eyes were closed and his chin was resting on the ground.

"Baddup baddup c'mon Tyler, wake up!" Flapped an impatient Bert. "I'm awake," drawled a slow, tired voice, "just thinkin'."

Bert zipped around from bush to rock and back again. "Well think faster. This little girl has to get home today."

Rosie bent down close to Tyler's head and asked again, "Can you help me? Can you help me get home?"

      Tyler did a slow circle and headed toward the river, his tired voice calling back to Rosie, "Best hurry little girl

Tyler did a slow circle and headed toward the river, his tired voice calling back to Rosie, "Best hurry little girl. Don't want to miss the ride," and he slid the rest of the way down to the water's edge. Rosie hurried after him, climbed onto his shell as instructed, and Tyler gave a push sending them into the middle of the river.

She called out a farewell to Bert who was perched on the old stump fanning the air with his big wings.

"Gaboooby boo and toodle-oo. Good luck on your journey from Bert and Blue." And in a flash he darted away into the forest and was gone.