forty-two ; oddly rude

Start from the beginning

            Mr. Weasley also emerged from the platform with Ron and Hermione. They unloaded the luggage cart when Fred, George, and Ginny turned up with Lupin—no Ophelia.

"No trouble?" growled Moody.

"Nothing," said Lupin.

"I'll still be reporting Sturgis to Dumbledore," said Moody. "That's the second time he's not turned up in a week. Getting as unreliable as Mundungus."

"Well, look after yourselves," said Lupin, shaking hands all round. He reached Harry last and gave him a clap on the shoulder. "You too, Harry. Be careful." Then, to Darcy, he hugged her. "Ophelia wanted to say goodbye, but she got caught up at the ministry."

"Oh," said Darcy. "Okay. She's not teaching at Hogwarts anymore, is she?"

"Yeah," he said glumly, though his face said otherwise. "She'll being staying over at my place. Not sure if you wanted to stay over during Christmas or spend it with Snuffles." He gestured to the dog behind them, wagging his tail.

Darcy smiled, though it was faint. The warning sound of the whistle interrupted their conversation; the students on the platform started hurrying onto the train.

"You know what?" said Lupin, lightly pushed Darcy over to the train. "Write Philly, we'll talk about it later!"

Behind Harry, who was being given a hug by the dog with its paws on his shoulder, Darcy turned around.

"Tell Philly that I'll miss her!" she said to Lupin loudly, waving. "And that I hope to get those Godiva chocolates you've been hiding from me!"

Lupin laughed.

"No problem—bye!" he shouted back at the same time Mrs. Weasley hissed, "For heaven's sake act more like a dog, Sirius!"

Before the train could move, Darcy bent down to hug the black dog, and received a lick back.

"Bye, dad," she whispered and jumped up, running back onto the train to. She turned, and saw that the train was moving and the bodies of Tonks, Lupin, Moody, and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley got smaller exponentially. The running black dog was alongside the window, people laughing to see it chasing the train, until they all disappeared.

Shuffling her bag onto her shoulder, beside Harry, Darcy huffed and glanced at the retreating twins. She also spotted Lee, and almost forgot about asking for the announcer position during for Quidditch...

"Shall we go and find a compartment, then?" Harry asked.

Ron and Hermione exchanged looks.

"Er," said Ron.

"We're — well — Ron, Darcy, and I are supposed to go into the prefect carriage," Hermione said awkwardly.

Ron wasn't looking at Harry; he seemed to have become intensely interested in the fingernails on his left hand.

At the mention of her name, Darcy distractedly shot her head from trying to fix her bag.

"Oh," said Harry. "Right. Fine."

"Do we?" she asked, a hint of whininess. "Why did Dumbledore think I wanted to be a part of this?"

"I don't think we'll have to stay there all journey," said Hermione quickly. "Our letters said we just get instructions from the Head Boy and Girl and then patrol the corridors from time to time."

"Fine," said Harry again. "Well, I-I might see you later, then."

"Yeah, definitely," said Ron, casting a shifty, anxious look at Harry. "It's a pain having to go down there, I'd rather — but we have to — I mean, I'm not enjoying it, I'm not Percy," he finished defiantly.