Chapter One

A/N: This is my first Avengers fanfic, so please bear with me. I do NOT own The Avengers or Marvel or any of their characters. Just Sage. Enjoy! Vote and comment if you have any ideas or suggestions!!!!

Chapter One:

Wind stung her cheeks, making her eyes water. The cold didn't bother her though. It numbed any sense of feeling she might have had left. Her legs dangled off the 10 story building, the clouds a vibrant orange as the sun set to the west. No, she wasn't planning to jump, if that's what you're thinking. She was trying focus. 

Eyes to the near empty road below her, she zeroed in on herself, focusing on nothing but being absolutely invisible. The world below her didn't see her. She was only a microscopic being among a lively city. She knew she was breakingrules by doing this. She didn't care though. How was she supposed to become good at becoming invisible if she could never practice?

She opened her eyes, staring down at her lap. She could see nothing but the concrete of the ledge.

"You know you're not supposed to do that." a voice said from behind her. The words made her only smile more. Or maybe it was the man behind the words. She turned, visible once more.

"Coming from king of going against the rules?" I ask Phil Coulson, agent from Shield.

"Someone could see you." he pointed out, but he gave me a secret smile and I knew I was in no trouble. He took a seat next to me on the ledge.

Yeah, I'm the girl who's turning invisible.

"Actually, no one could see me," I say, giving him a sideways glance,"  Besides, I'm a rebel."

"I know," he agrees. We sit in compatible silence for a second.

"Is that why you won't join?" he asked. I sigh, knowing what he was referring to.

"It's one of a million reasons why I won't join Shield." I say. 

I leaned back, resting my weight on my palms sitting on the concrete roof. I lift my face letting the remainder of the sun warm my cheeks. It was only 40 degrees out, but I was comfortable in nothing more than my jeans and short sleeved t-shirt. It advertised one of my many favorite bands, Fall Out Boy. Their music was actually worth listening to.

"Then give me another reason why," he said, " A good one."

I think, searching for one of my many excuses. None came to mind, nothing that Phil would believe, atleast.  I roll my eyes.

"I'm just not agent material." I say. The truth was, I didn't trust Shield. I have my reasons too. 

"Which is why we train agents." he says. 

"Do you honestly think anyone could train this?" I ask, talking about myself. If I wasn't supposed to turn invisible , even for a second, think about the other rules I'd easily break. And Shield didn't take too kindly to those who broke their rules.

"I could." he says. I laugh, but stop short when he sounds serious.

"Why do you want me to join so much?" I ask him, sheer curiosity in the question. I was nothing compared to the heroes around. Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and all the other heroes on Shields radar. I'm not like them. He just sighed.

"I think you're good." he says. I wait for him to go on.

"I've convinced Shield to think you're not....dangerous, for the time being."

"But?" I say, knowing there was one on the way.

"I can't convice them forever." he says.

"So it's join or die?" I ask, spite filling my tone. He shook his head at me in a way that told me I was wrong. I knew I wasn't.

"You and I both know, you have the potential to be great." he says. I say nothing.

"And we have to convince Shield of that." he says.

"But I don't want to be an agent." I tell him.

"Then being something bigger." he said. It's then I notice the manilla file in his hand. The words printed : Avengers Initiative.

"I don't want to be a hero, either." I say.

"What do you want? To work at cafe all your life? Live in a tiny apartment that's the size of a refridgerator box? Paint your depression and then hide it in a closet so you don't have to see it?" he asks.

"Quit spying on me." I mumble.

"Don't you want to be something amazing?" he asked me. The question hung in the air, being answered only by car horns and the flapping of pigeon wings.

"It's not a matter of wanting to be amazing...what if I don't fit the bill? What if I'm not what you're expecting?" I ask.

"You are." he tries to assure me but I shake my head.

"You don't know that. You have no idea of predicting what I'll be if I join." I say. Sighing, Phil stands. He drops the file next to me.

"I'll give you 24 hours. Think about it." he said. I didn't turn when I heard him walk the fire escape steps.

The folder flapped in the wind. I tried to ignore it as best I could. That wasn't me. It wasn't going to be my life. I was just a weird girl trying to be normal. I didn't want trouble.

The folder sat, waiting. I sighed, picking it up.

I didn't want trouble...Trouble wanted me.