Escaped Niffler

The Niffler had gotten loose again.

Nothing unusual, really. The furry troublemaker always managed to find a way to undo the latches and sneak out of Newt's case. It was nighttime in New York, and you and Newt were taking a stroll around Central Park. You two were nothing more than best friends, but you both wanted something more.

And tonight was the night Newt planned on admitting his feelings for you.

You two were standing on a little bridge that overlooked a lake in Central Park. The view of the city was phenomenal. There were a few peaceful moments of silence between both of you.

"Marvelous, isn't it?" you said, breaking the silence.

"Yes. Yes, it very much is."

Newt set his case on the ground and looked at you sheepishly. "Uh... Y/N, there's... something I need to tell you."

You looked at him worriedly. "Is something wrong? Are you okay?"

"Oh! Yes, I'm fine, nothing's wrong don't worry. W-what I was trying to say wa–."

You cut him off and your eyes widened. "Hold that thought, Newt! The Niffler's gotten loose again!"

Newt spun around to where you were looking and saw the Niffler take off down the path at full speed. Newt grabbed your hand and his case and you both began to chase after it.

There wasn't anyone around at this time of night, so you didn't have to worry about having to go back and obliviate any No-Majs. Newt tried using Accio a few times with his wand; but the Niffler would dodge out of range, so he gave up on that.

The Niffler looked behind him to see if he had lost you, but he looked back at just the wrong moment and tripped over a tree root that jutted out of the ground. You and Newt leaped forward, and you managed to catch the Niffler in your hands. It tried to squirm out of your grasp, but Newt opened his case and let you put the Niffler back inside.

You stood back up and brushed the dirt off your pants. Newt did the same. You were both completely out of breath.

"So, you were saying?" you asked between breaths.

"What?"

"Before we went on a wild Niffler chase, remember? You were going to tell me something."

It soon dawned on him. "Why tell you what I've been meaning to tell you all these months when I could just do what I've been wanting to do...," he mumbled to himself.

"Huh?"

Newt looked up and stepped closer to you. He cupped your cheek with his hand. He looked into your eyes, and then down to your lips. Newt leaned in and kissed you sweetly. You wrapped your arms around his neck to pull him closer and deepen the kiss.

Once you pulled away; Newt began to speak: "I love you, Y/N. I have for a while now. You're a beautiful, kind, brave, strong, and caring woman. You're always there for me no matter what. You've stuck by my side and you're my best friend." He paused. "And I want to make it something more."

You looked at the adorable freckled man in awe. "Aww, Newt... I love you too."

You both shared another kiss.

"The Niffler should get loose more often," you smirked and leaned in for another kiss