Chapter Eight: Breakfast Argument

Start from the beginning

"So you actually do know quite a lot about your mate."

"Yup, we talked. Alright, now how about we talk about something a lot more serious. Like your relapse."

Darren sat in silence with his head hung low and his bangs covered his eyes. I suddenly felt bad about bringing it up, but I knew that if there was one thing that we needed to talk about, it was his relapse. It wasn't very healthy for him or for Vincent.

Darren had depression throughout high school and when he left to go to college, we all thought that it had gotten better. We let him have his own apartment and he lived there. I was supposed to go and visit him one day, but Vincent had to go in my place. The scene that Vincent saw wasn't very pretty.

They never met after Vincent turned 18 and started helping me out with the company, so they both had no idea that they were mates. Finding his mate with both wrists cut and bleeding out to death was probably the worst way to meet.

I was in a meeting and when I got the call from Vincent, I quickly rushed out of the meeting that I was in and raced there just in time to see Darren being carried into an ambulance. Vincent was a mess and I was worse. I distinctly remembering crying a lot that night and ignoring everyone.

"Kaelen..."

"No, Darren. We will talk about this."

"But, I really, really don't want to talk about this, Kaelen."

"Hmmm...."

"Please, Kaelen."

"Fine. But, in return, you have to promise me that you will go and talk to Vincent about this tomorrow, got it? If you don't, we will hire you a therapist."

"Okay, I promise I will talk to Vincent about it. I'll tell him everything."

"Alright. Now, come here. I want cuddles before going to sleep."

Darren giggled and crawled over, climbing in the blanket that I held up for him to climb under. I hugged him to my chest, but for some weird reason, this simple gesture no longer felt right. He didn't fit exactly and it didn't feel as comfortable as it used to. Dhairya came to mind and I cursed in my head.

Why did I ever say that having a mate would be a burden? It's so amazing, Dhairya was amazing. Speaking of Dhairya, I miss him. I wonder what he's doing right now...
-------------------------------------------------------

The smell of burnt cooking wafted into my nose and I jerked my eyes open. Oh no. My mom was trying to cook again. That never boded well for any of us. I glanced over at the window and stared longingly. Maybe if I jumped out the window right now, I could run and make it back to the pack house in time for breakfast that were made by people, not my mom, and were delicious.

But then, I thought about Darren and my dad. I thought about how they would have to suffer the pain of tasting her food. I thought about how cruel it would be if I left them and I sighed. This was difficult to do, but I guess I'm staying and enduring the disgusting food that Ma makes.

"Kaelen?"

"Morning, Darren."

"Is mom cooking?"

"Yes."

"And you haven't run away yet? What is wrong with you?"

"Thought of you and Dad. If we're gonna die, might as well die together, right?"

"Aww...Thank you! You're so sweet!"

Darren got out of bed and walked to his own master bedroom, quickly unlocking it from that facade that he had put up last night. It had it's own bathroom and all of Darren's clothes, so I guess it's natural to go back to his own room. I sighed and went to my own bathroom to freshen up as well.

After finishing my business, I got out and changed into a pair of slacks and a black dress shirt. I tucked in my shirt and put on a belt before walking down the hall. I arrived in the little dining room and sat down in the last available seat.

"Kaelen, you knew your mom was cooking and you stayed? Do you want to eat this food? Do you need a doctor? Should I go and get you the pack doctor?"

"Haha... Whatever are you talking about?"

My dad raised one brow and stared down at me. I just continued pretending to be innocent with a smile on my face. My dad opened his mouth and closed it quickly, squeezing his eyes shut as well. He opened his eyes and his mouth hang open in a silent scream.

"Connor, do not insult my cooking! I am freaking amazing!"

Ma turned around with a hopeful look on her face and stared straight at me. Her lips started to pout a little and her eyes watered up. Her perfectly sculpted face shone with hope and I squeezed my eyes shut, knowing that she knew I couldn't resist that face. I cringed.

"Sorry, Pa. I've got to disagree with you there. Ma's cooking is just great."

Darren giggled and Ma turned around with a triumphant smile in Dad's shocked face. He quickly recovered and groaned before covering his face with his hands. We all chuckled when he began banging his head on the table. My mom giggled again before beginning to eat the green slop that she made for breakfast. I think it was meant to be oatmeal.

"Oh yeah, Kaelen? What time are you going in for work today?"

"Hmm... Right after breakfast. Why?"

"Well, Darren needs a ride to college so I was wondering if you could drive him?"

"Yeah, sure."

The rest of breakfast was eaten in a comfortable silence. When I finished, I put my dishes in the sink and washed my hands. I patiently waited until Darren finished eating so we could leave the house. We shifted and ran pack to the pack house where I had left my car. It was a nice, little compact car that I have had for 7 years now. I loved the little beauty. We got in and I started the car, reveling in its purr.

"How's college going so far?"

"Kaelen, why is college so hard? Why couldn't I just become a dang doctor already?"

"Work hard and attain your goals? I don't know, man. I took over the company right after high school. But, if it's your dream, then you should never give up on it. I know that much. Work hard and make your dreams come true."

"Thanks, Kaelen."

"No problem, kiddo. Wow, that made me sound old as fuck. Anyways, here we are."

"Bye!"

I waved and smiled at the little man before carefully reversing and driving to the company. I can't wait to see Dhairya. Wait, would Dhairya even come? How could I get George to let him come to the company everyday. This is pretty much an impossible thing. I shook out of my thoughts once I realized that I had already arrived at the company.

I walked through the company doors and frowned when I saw Vincent there with his arms around MY mate.

>What the hell are you doing with my mate?!<