" Yes...yes it does seem that way." I said eventually.

Harry nodded as if I just proved him right and went back to staring back at his parchment.

I realized that he needed to be alone, so I pulled out my Arithmancy homework to start on. We had to make very complex number charts... they were ten times harder than having to guess random things in Trelawny's class.

The rest of the evening went by slowly but eventually my friends and I were the last ones in the common room.

" Arg! Bloody..." Ron started as he jumped off the floor and away from the fire.

I looked up to see Sirius's head sitting in the flames, grinning at Ron.

"Hi." Sirius said happily.

" Hi." my friends and I chorused.

" How are things... I got your letter Harry...you said Umbridge was awful." Sirius said turning toward Harry with a look of concern.

" You didn't tell us that you wrote to him! Harry that's dangerous! Your letter could have been intercepted!" Hermione said disapprovingly.

Harry shrugged, looking indifferent as he stared at Sirius's floating head.

" Sirius, you shouldn't be here... Umbridge is watching the fireplaces and letters like a hawk....if she notices you're here....It will be really bad." I said nervously.

Sirius rolled his eyes and said " I've been popping up in this fireplace every hour to check if you were the last ones in the common room...if she hasn't realized that I'm here by now, she isn't very observant."

" You've been popping into the fire every hour??" Harry said half laughing.

" But what if you were seen??" Hermione said anxiously.

"Well, I think a girl.... first year by the looks of her.... might've got a glimpse of me earlier, but don't worry," Sirius said hastily, as Hermione and I clapped a hand over our mouths in worry. " I was gone the moment she looked back at me and I'll bet she jsut thought I was an oddly shaped log or something."
" But, Sirius, this is taking an awful risk..." Hermione began.

" You sound like Molly," Sirius said " This was the only way I could come up with of answering Harry's letter without resorting to a code, and codes are breakable.... Anyway... we'd better be quick just in case we're disturbed....your scar....Well I know it can't be fun when it hurts, but we don't think it's anything to really worry about. It kept aching all last year, didn't it?"

" Yeah, and Dumbledore said it happened whenever Voldemort was feeling a powerful emotion." Harry said  ingoring as Ron and Hermione winced. " So maybe he was just, I dunno, really angry or something the night I had that detention."

" Well, now he's back it's bound to hurt more often," said Sirus.

" So you don't think it had anything to do with Umbridge touching me when I was in detention with her?" Harry asked.

" No, No... I doubt it. I'm sure she is no death eater." Sirius said soothingly.

" She's foul enough to be one." I said darkly and my friends nodded vigorously in agreement.

" Yes, but the world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters." Said Sirius with a wry smile " I know she's probably a nasty piece of work though... you should hear Remus talk about her."

" Lupin knows her? Poor bloke." Ron said.

"No," Sirus said " But she drafted a bit of anti-werewolf legislation two years ago that makes it almost impossible for him to get a job."