Chapter 9

After finishing my daily morning face wash - which was now becoming routine since I couldn't exactly use the shower without alarming my family - I went to school happier than usual. I decided to join Cameron in his first period class. It would make for an interesting morning since he's the only person in the class that would be able to see me.

I wandered through the senior classes, unaware of what his first period was. Eventually, I spotted him in Ms. Ewell's calculus class. Poor Cameron. Ms. Ewell was notorious for being uptight and downright boring. The least I could do was liven the class up a bit.

Ms. Ewell had her back to the class. She was writing some long, complicated formula on the board when I walked in.

Cameron was playing with his pencil, but he looked up immediately when he heard me walk in.

"You looked like you were bored," I smirked. I decided not to include the fact that I had been looking for him. My voice sounded loud as it cut through the silence of the class, but I tried to ignore it. It wasn't as if anyone could hear me. "What do you say I... cause some sort of commotion?"

Cameron smirked. "I like the way you think," he murmured under his breath.

"What if-"

I was cut off by a student coming in the door. I recognized her as one of the office assistants.

Ms. Ewell still hadn't noticed her. The girl cleared her throat, visibly stiffening when Ms. Ewell finally looked up with an icy glare. "Um... the principal would like to see Cameron Ace in his office," she conveyed before making a hasty escape.

Cameron and I exchanged glances. "This can't be good," Cameron said softly before pushing himself out of his seat.

I followed him out the classroom. "What do you think it's about?"

"No idea," he shrugged before knocking on the principal's door. "But it might have something to do with our escapades from yesterday."

"Come in," a deep voice called from within the office.

Cameron pushed the door open. I filed in behind him before he shut the door gently.

There were two seats set up in front of the principal's desk. Cameron and I both took a seat.

"How are you?" the principal, Mr. Lockwood, asked.

Cameron narrowed his eyes cautiously, just enough for me to discern. "Okay, I guess."

Mr. Lockwood nodded. He shifted in his seat and leaned forward, resting his chin on his folded hands. "Cameron, you weren't at school tomorrow, correct?"

"Yes," Cameron lied effortlessly. "I was at home sick."

Mr. Lockwood raised his eyebrows. "But you're all better now?"

Cameron nodded. "Look, Tom. Let's cut to the chase. What did I do this time?"

"Well, someone vandalized the school yesterday. Did you know this?" Cameron said he didn't. "Are you sure about that? Our security cameras caught a male wearing a black jacket with this logo on it. Have you ever seen this jacket?" Once again, Cameron denied it. "Lying is never the solution, Cameron. This is your jacket. You can't weasel your way out of this. I'm giving you Saturday school. You should be grateful I'm letting you off this easily. Vandalizing school property is a very serious crime. I'll see you Saturday."

Cameron didn't reply. He left the room wordlessly, leaving me scrambling to catch up to him.

"I'm so sorry, Cameron. If I hadn't let you come with me, none of this would've happened..." I rambled on.