Chapter 2

"Mom, is this really necessary? I shouldn't have to go to school today," Kendall pleaded, her eyes still moist and distanced. "It's not as if I'll be able to focus anyway."

My mom pulled Kendall in for a hug, kissing the top of her head lightly. "I know, sweetie. I'm sorry. Both we both know that sitting around moping all day won't help either." A tear rolled down her cheek, but she made no move to wipe it away.

"Then how come you're skipping work today?" Kendall insisted.

"I have things to take care of. Come on, let's get you to school." My mom let go of Kendall and disappeared into the garage without another word. Her reasoning seemed a bit skeptical, but there wasn't anything I could say on the matter.

Kendall sighed. A small frown lingered on her lips, so subtle that I almost missed it. Her eyes seemed to linger on where I currently sat before she turned and followed my mom out the door.

That was my cue. I stood and entered the garage right behind my sister. Out of habit, I assume, she eyed the passenger seat that I had claimed as my own so many years ago, before passing by and climbing into the back. I clambered into the seat beside her before Kendall slammed the car door and we were off.

I was going to school. This morning, I awoke with a strong urge to see how my friends were taking the news of my disappearance. Obviously, I couldn't drive myself to school; my family would go hysterical if they thought they had been robbed of not only their daughter but of her car, too, just a day after. Naturally, I did the next best thing. My sister's middle school backed up to my own school, so all I had to do was hitch a ride with her and then walk the short distance around the campus to my school's front doors.

Soon, I wound up standing in front of my school. I wandered through the hallways, allowing my feet and not my brain to lead me. My mind was too occupied with thoughts to concern myself with where I was going.

"Zach," a feminine voice moaned from around the corner. I froze. That voice sounded familiar. And Zach? It couldn't be my Zach, could it?

I willed myself to move forward. With slow, cautious movements, I peered around the corner, praying for something I already knew wouldn't happen. Yet still, what I saw made my heart wrench in agony. A male held a girl tightly around her hips. The girl was leaning against a set of newly-painted red lockers on the wall. My locker, come to think of it.

"Zach, are you sure this is such a good idea?" the girl asked. "It doesn't seem right. What if they find her?"

"Relax. Even if they find her, we can still be together. We'll just have to be a little more cautious. I can't break up with her. Being her boyfriend has certain... benefits that I'm not willing to jeopardize. But I won't leave you, either. Amber has become blind to the world around her ever since that friend of hers left. Cheating on her is as easy as counting all the girlfriends I've had while dating her. Two... Three... Five." The boy amended in a deep, husky voice. His black hair was a mess, thanks to the girl brushing her hand through it. I gasped. It was him. Zach Robbers. My boyfriend.

Or ex-boyfriend, I should say. Zach and I had been dating since we were sophomores. Now, in our senior year of high school, I find out he had cheated on me with a total of five girls without my knowledge. How could he use me like this? And did any of my friends know?

Zach shifted, giving me a better view of the girl. If it were possible, my heart ached that much more. I knew the girl. That was why her voice had sounded so familiar to me. Katie Donivan had been one of the only girls I hung out with that could actually get me to partake in a conversation. And now, this? My life couldn't get any worse.