Squinting up at the porch I did my best to pay attention to the ceremony, despite my constantly shifting attention. It was a miserable day. Almost an hour latter I finally noticed the ceremony was over as pack members started towards the porch to great the new Alpha and Luna as tradition dictated.

Starting forwards I moaned as my stiff muscles protested movement. At least I would be able to wait for a while in the shade.

Stepping o ut of the oppressive sun I sighed in relief, silently debating leaving the line to get some water. Immediately I rejected the idea. Leaving the line to get water would mean getting in the back of the enormous line when I got back, and the sooner I got threw the line the sooner I'd be able to eat. Food was sounding good at the moment as my grumbling stomach reminded me. Hopefully I'd be able to slip through the line quickly.

Listening to the second hand on my watch tick away I watched the interactions between other pack members. Everyone gathered in family groups, talking excitedly about Michael becoming the pack's new Alpha, and the changes he was planning to bring the pack into the twenty first century. With jealousy at the sight of all the happy families clawing at my chest I forced my wolf's instincts down. Rolling my shoulders I stretched again.

It was an hour and forty-seven minutes after the ceremony had ended that I finally reached the front of the line. Bowing slightly I greeted the new Alpha couple, smiling as I said, "Alpha Michael and Luna Katie congratulations, I look forwards to you time as Alphas."

"Oh, Samantha it is such a pleasure to have you in the pack," Luna Katie smiled at me with her sparkling green eyes. Smiling widely at them I moved down the line nodding at the Elders along with Alpha Charles and Luna Lorraine in respect. As I continued down the line Audrey pounced on me, squeezing me into a tight hug squealing my name. Confused I hesitantly patted Audrey's back. I'd never had a conversation with her, so why was she acting so cuddly?

"Err, thanks," I muttered gently pushing out of Audrey's hold. Continuing down the line I greeted the other important pack members before wandering towards the tables heaping with food, and grabbed the bottle of water.

Sitting down at the empty picnic table at the edge of the forest I pulled the cap off the bottled water, swallowing it in a few gulps. It was amazing how much better I felt with some water in my system. Ignoring the movements of nearby pack members I dug into the bacon cheeseburger I had grabbed from the table.

Veagly I was aware of someone sitting down across the picnic table. I could feel my wolf pushing me to look up at the pack member across from me eagerly. Rolling my eyes I set the rest of my burger on my plate reluctantly. Looking up, I saw Alpha Michael's older brother sitting across from me. Arching his dark eyebrows Ryan said, "Do you mind if I sit here?"

"No," I shook my head before explaining, "My wolf is just anxious about you for some reason."

"I wouldn't know," Ryan admitted sadly, "I was cut off from my wolf when I was little, so I can't communicate with my wolf or shift."

That couldn't be healthy. I'd never heard of a werewolf who couldn't communicate with their wolf side, but Ryan seemed to be doing fine, from what I'd heard he even worked for the council. Curious I couldn't help but ask, "What about your mate?"

"The council elders said that once I meet her the barrier between my wolf and I, but the thing is we won't know we're mates until we make physical contact," Ryan explained.

Nodding at him I continued to eat my lunch, comfortable with his presence at the table. It felt nice to spend some time with a pack member who was willing to sit in silence. Most other pack members I had been around found it odd, and were constantly talking.

Abruptly Ryan stood up saying, "I'll be back, I just want to grab some more water. You want me to grab some for you?" Nodding I smiled as I continued chewing on the chips I had shoved in my mouth. It seemed as though Ryan spent as little time with the rest of the pack as I did.

Minutes latter I was startled by the sparks coming rom a hand spreading something slightly tacky across my burnt and tender shoulder. Hissing at the pain I pulled away. Turning I looked over my shoulder. Hissing at the pain I pulled way. Turning I looked over my shoulder at the tall dark haired man behind me. He frowned at me before quickly hiding it with a huge grin that made it's way to his clear hazel eyes. Instantly my wolf demanded contact with the tall-sculpted man hovering with a ridiculous green bottle of aloe in his hand. Like a bolt of lightning the realization struck me; this was my mate.

"I guess the elders were right then," Ryan laughed taking a step closer, "You look like lobster. It's been so painful to look at that I had to get you some aloe."

"And you had to sneak up on me and apply aloe, without warning me?" I queried back immediately.

"Wasn't my finest moment," Ryan shrugged moving forwards with the aloe bottle again. Frowning at him I muttered, "It stings," somewhat reluctant to have the goey green substance slathered over me.

"You're a lobster," Ryan laughed at me, before proceeding to ignore my protest and cover my sunburn with aloe Vera.

We were off to a good start.