“I believe that I have far worse things to fear then mere thieves and muggers,” Ryker answered.

“Yes, I suppose you’re right. So tell me, are you close?” asked the stranger. Ryker could feel his gaze upon him as he asked, but he stayed silent. “Obviously you haven’t found it or you wouldn’t be here to have this conversation with me.”

“And how do you know I’m not here to tell you to give up because I’ve already found it?” he asked.

“You and I both know Ryker that if you were to have found the Sacrifice we would be fighting instead of sharing a smoke right now. So tell me, are you close?” he asked again.

Ryker drew the last drag of his cigarette before tossing it onto the sidewalk. “As close as I am any other time I guess.”

“Why do we keep looking? It wouldn’t surprise me if the seals were broken before we ever find it,” the stranger said.

“Do I sense surrender in your tone Gabriel?” Ryker asked. Gabriel only laughed.

“Surrender is not mine to order,” Gabriel answered. “Just as giving up is not an option for you.”

“I never said I wanted to give up,” Ryker answered quickly.

“You didn’t need to, it’s evident in everything you do; your face, your tone, even the fact that you have stayed in this city for a month now even when you know that it isn’t here.”

“I’m simply gathering information. Just because I’m tired of chasing empty leads doesn’t mean I’ve given up,” Ryker said.

“Say what you will, but you’re much easier to read then you would like to think,” Gabriel answered.

Ryker let out a defiant huff. “Any word from the Council?” Ryker asked hopefully, changing the subject.

“Of course not,” Gabriel said as he threw his cigarette butt away to only pull another out and light it. “You know they don’t believe in this prophecy and they are just fine to let us wander about the world looking for it. They having more pressing matters to attend to, or at least that’s the excuse that I’ve been given for their lack of communication. They speak only when they need to.”