Chapter 3

Knox took a swig of his beer as he sat on a barstool in Donovan's while he waited for Cliff to show up red faced. In Knox's slew of bad habits, loitering at this bar had become routine when he was in town.
He enjoyed the thick atmosphere laced with a dark history that stretched back over a hundred years. The photos and art on the walls were all riddled with the consuming inspiration of liquor by local artists.  

        He returned his attention to a chick at the other end of the bar.
They had been side-eyeing each other since his arrival and he could spot an invitation, no matter how discreet. Technically, he was in a social media, long distance relationship with a model he met at a fashion show in Prague six months ago. When he thought about the relationship it wasn't as exotic as it sounded but Cliff thought it was great PR.

          It didn't stop him from admiring the opposite sex or playfully indulging in the attention of someone else. This girl across from him, the one he's dating, the one that divorced him, they all see him the same way in the end.

         Sure, they would be captivated by his devilishly good looks but by the time the charm wore off, they would complain about his distance or his quirks, and eventually it would dissipate on one end or the other. He brought the glass to his lips as he turned in the direction of the saucy brunette at the other end. He was ready to play cat and mouse when Cliff's receding forehead glimmering with sweat distracted him.

         "There he is the asshole of the hour!" Cliff was shamelessly loud and brass as a result of his native inner city upbringing. He passed the brunette, immediately calling to the bartender, "Sweetheart can I get my usual bourbon please!"

    Cliff squatted in the stool next to Knox, his ass devouring the seat underneath. He scanned Knox's features carefully, "What da Hells a matter wit you? You lookin' to play my wingman tonight? You look like shit."

     "I wouldn't go that far," Knox grinned as he popped an eyebrow to the brunette.

    Cliff took a quick peek at the girl then cocked his head to Knox, "You really are an asshole."

    "Make no mistake," he replied taking a long gulp of his beer finishing it off.

    The bartender served Cliff his drink bringing Knox a refill while she was at it. Cliff took an over eager gulp from his glass wiping the excess from the corner of his mouth with his knuckles. "Good news, I rescheduled your shoot. Lucky for you I was able to schmooze over the editor...you're welcome. You, also have a production meeting at the end of the month on your new film; don't forget. Oh, plus, you are the fresh face of Conquest the new cologne by Hugh Delross." 

    Cliff finished his spiel with an elbow to elbow knock to Knox. He delayed anymore hinting reactions until Knox responded. When Cliff was sure he wasn't going to get any positive affirmations he insisted on one, "This is the part where you worship me and then tell me something good."

    "I painted something new." Monotone, he conceded to Cliff's demand.

    "That's fantastic....it's been like five years since you've painted anything. What is it?" Cliff asked.

    "It's uh…you're just going to have to see," Knox answered ominously knowing Cliff could honestly care less as long as it made lots of money.

    "Well, and see I shall in the meantime your shoot is tomorrow morning, I will have a car pick you up. After that, the editor wants to do a brief interview with you about some of your more famous pieces and about some of your upcoming movies." Cliff snapped his fingers in front of Knox's void expression as he stared aimlessly down at the bar top.                       "The car will be there at eight, in the morning.”
    "I got it!" Knox barked.