Chapter 2 - Harmonies

DISCLAIMER: I have not created and do not own the following characters mentioned within this writing

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So this 'mind palace' what exactly is it?"

John spurted a small fit of muffled laughter due to his mouth being stuffed with chips, you waited as he finished his mouthful quicker than expected "To be honest? I don't really know much about his mind palace. I heard that it's a structural pigmentation within the mind which can hold an array of data, sounds weird but for Sherlock it works fantastically, he really has a gift. Even though it is usually showered by his immense ego and sarcasm.." You hallowed a giggle with your palm as a set of cold daggers poked from across the table.

"I am not shadowed by my ego. John." A deep frown merged onto his pale features causing the whole vibe of the room to stir

"Well, you seem to send off that message. Sherlock"

Sinking ever further into the plush seating your eyes darted between the two as they began to rant about each other's attributes, the tension almost choked you as they became more intense with each syllable.

"You can talk every bloody day is like thi- well that's not correct now is it!- you always d- oh just shut up- YOU SHUT UP- it's not that I mean to do tha- THAT'S IT- what, what is wrong now?!- IM LEAVING- FINE!"

As the argument settled you had realised that during the quarrel you had shut your eyes. Gradually reopening to reality you saw the pair staring across to one another, a startled cold gaze settled on their faces. There was a moment where everything seemed still, a pin drop would've been clearly heard.

"R-right, I'll be off then. (y/n). s-sherlock.." The emotion on John's face when he mentioned Sherlock's name drove pangs of aches through your interns, causing a hazy fog to blur your vision. He picked up his coat and left leaving no traces of existence except the few chips he hadn't eaten. 'What just happened?'

The silence continued since Johns sudden absence. It didn't feel natural to sit with Sherlock but no John to accompany, his warm smiles and silly clothes drowned out the hostile looks from those multicoloured optics.

"I apologize that you had to witness that..."

His whole composure had changed, his usual upright sitting position morphed over into a hunched one, while his facial features were lost in a trance of confusion.

"Sherlock?" Brushing a timid palm onto his balled fists he flinched. Your body froze as he moved his confused look onto your hand "Are you...are you okay"

His tangled curls formed a curtain of darkness over his temple, while a baritone response echoed from his hollow breath "Peachy"

"Sherlock." A stern look emitted from your once concerned features causing him to sigh heavily "I'm fine" Pushing his thin self upright, his pale hands pulled around his signature coat and scarf before pausing "Could you join me please, I-" before the detective could finish the sentence you had joined beside him, you didn't know why this was and weren't prepared to question it, all you knew was that this man needed some company, and you were probably the only person willing to give it.

Following long strides out of the welcoming building a gust of brittle air sunk around your form earning a sharp gasp, the months had really been showing their transformation of weather into the season of winter recently. The streets seemed to have emptied, just like that, leaving the two of you to wander down the ever chilling pavement. While walking you caught yourself watching Sherlock, he was such a mysterious person with his collar always pulled and face kept in a neutral state or emotionless at times, he was the sort of person who kept to himself unless you befriended him. If that was even possible. Maybe there was a small hint of hope to befriending this man, odd yes but his intelligence did astound you thoroughly especially his 'observations' from earlier. You had been gnawing at the puzzle of him finding this information out for a while now, how was it even possible to know about those things unless you were some sort of spy? Heh it wouldn't be surprising considering Sherlock's elusiveness.