Chapter 26 Birthday Fun

Start from the beginning

We all looked at Lauren's boyfriend Scott expectantly, but Lauren spoke first. "He's flying out to California to be with his parents so we'll plan to be together for New Year's Eve."

"One less mouth to feed," my mom quipped and everyone's jaw dropped. "Oh my gosh, I was kidding! Can't you take a joke?" Then we all laughed as if we'd just been given permission. "We'll miss you, Scott," she said. "Maybe you two can come for prime rib on New Year's Day. Well, all of you, if you're free."

"Sounds wonderful," Harry said excitedly. It sounded like everyone else could make it, too. Celebrations with my family were always special. We loved each other and we always had fun playing board games, drinking a little too much. I couldn't wait.

At the end of brunch, the presents came out. I opened my parents' first - it was neatly tucked into a gift bag with a floral print that overlaid a pattern of book text. I pulled out a deep blue chenille pillow and matching throw blanket. They were both patterned in houndstooth, but it was subtle because of the darkness of the blue against the black. "Oh, they're beautiful," I gushed. "And so soft." I rubbed the material against my cheek and then against Harry's.

"For your drafty apartment," Dad said.

"It's not drafty," I argued. "It's airy." It was true - the tall ceilings and open floor plan made it seem spacious and not at all suffocating, just the way I liked it.

"Same difference," he shrugged.

Next was a gift from Martin. It was a custom made rubber stamp in whimsical letters, stating, From the Library of Regan Flannery, perfect for staking my claim on my hundreds of books. Charlotte gave me a canvas tote bag which had a cartoon of a giraffe carrying a stack of about twenty books, piled up under its long neck to its chin. Definitely more creative than the generic library tote I'd been using. Lauren gave me a charcoal gray sweater with a loose white Fair Isle pattern around the neck; it came with matching slippers. Collin and Sean combined their resources and gave me a gift card to Barnes and Noble. Clearly my family understood my obsession with books.

Harry shyly pulled out his gift last. He had been successful at hiding the small, flat box in his coat pocket.

"Harry, you really didn't have to," I said.

"Of course I did," he said very softly. "I love you." I didn't know if he had only wanted me to hear that, but everyone else did and gave us a sappy "Awww."

I unwrapped the box and opened it, hoping it wasn't something too extravagant. The box held a pair of dangly earrings with stacks of tiny books hanging from them. "You know, because we met in the stacks," he said with a smirk. "Well and because you work in a library."

"You're so sweet," I said.

"There are two more layers," he said. "Keep going."

I felt a little tug at my heart because of his thoughtfulness. I peeled back one layer of cotton and gasped. There lay a white gold and tanzanite Faberge brooch in the shape of a firefly. "Harry, it's gorgeous!" I kissed his cheek quickly  and then focused on removing the pin from its backing.

"I liked Martin's nickname for you," Harry said Martin sent Harry a thumbs up from across the table. "But you really do remind me of a firefly. You're not loud or obtrusive, but you still make yourself known by you steady presence and your compassion. You warm my heart with your special brand of fire and you light up my life just be being part of it."

I was close to crying while my shaking fingers attached the brooch to my sweater. "Thank you, Harry. It's very special."

"One more layer," he said.