Chapter 3

Two awful, dreadful, stressful, sickening weeks had passed since I threw up at school and let's just say that wasn't the last time it had happened either. Everything made me sick, I would get these awful headaches at around noon and I was exhausted all the time. Hayden took as good of care of me as he could while we both juggled school and work.

Lexi would be home in two more months and I could not wait to have my girlfriend back because I was about to go crazy only hanging out with Hayden. Jake and I were still on rocky grounds and I still hadn't told him that I might be pregnant. So far the only people who knew were me, Hayden, and basically anyone with common pregnancy knowledge.

Hayden and I were sitting in my room after school on a Tuesday. My period was four days late and even though I was ninety percent positive I was pregnant I figured I might as well take a test just to be extra sure. "So even though we basically know that there is a human being inside of me, I should still pee on this stick, right?" I asked him opening up the test.

"Yes, you should." he agreed. "Is it weird that, like, I'm nervous? Like I'm the dad or something. Like I feel like my life is on the line here."

"Thank you for that motivational speech. I really feel like everything is going to be okay now." I rolled my eyes and walked down the hall into the bathroom. I had drank my weight in Sprite while preparing for this and I was about to burst. I sat down on the toilet and prayed I wouldn't pee on my hand. I had never peed on anything before, never even peed into a cup at the doctors.

I washed my hands and carried the test back to my room. I set it down on my nightstand and waited patiently for the longest three minutes of my life. Hayden started telling me knock-knock jokes to lighten the tension in the air. He made me laugh and I think that enough at this point.

I kept glancing at the test to see if it had an answer, I think this was making my anxiety worse. "I really should have just set a timer." I groaned picking it up for the fourth time. "How long is three minutes really?"

"In this day in age an actual minute feels like an hour." Hayden commented. "We live in a world were everything is instant and videos are seven seconds long. No one knows how to relax anymore."

"Thank you grandpa." I mocked him. I picked up the test again, still no answer.

"Hayley, relax for just a second. Calm yourself down, take some deep breaths, you've gotta chill out before you can handle the answer."

"Hayden I'll be fine, I already know the answer. This is just confirmation." I said waving the stick back and forth like that was supposed to help.

"For a teenage girl that is sure she's pregnant you seem fairly calm." He added taking the test from me. He gave it one small tap and then looked at me confused. "Well, you were wrong."

"What?" I took the test from him. "Not pregnant? How is this possible?"

"Hayley, this is a good thing. Take this a positive you can get back to your life."

"Hayden I'm pregnant. We've gotta go get another test. This one is faulty." I jumped up and put on my shoes.

"Hayley, I feel like you want to be pregnant."

"It's more of a I have to be right thing." I admitted grabbing my bag. "Come on," I walked out the front door and got in his truck. I could tell he was a little bugged he just wanted to believe the first test. But I was showing all the signs, sickness, fatigue, irritability, I was the textbook definition of pregnant.

Hayden came out the door shortly after I got in the truck. He was really dragging his feet but he finally made it into the drivers seat. "Hayley I just really feel like we should take this as a silver lining and move on."