She also had on black gloves that went a little past her elbows and at the top were circled with white. Above that silver bands went encircled her arms and were connected to the white around the gloves by two thin aquamarine strings, one on each side of her arms. Her hair was a tangled mess of light brown and darker blond around her shoulders. Her eyes, when they fluttered open, were a silvery green color.

 As soon as she saw me I could see a few different emotions pass through her eyes, but before I had time to think about it, she had me pinned to the stone floor, a sword glowing faintly pressed to my neck. I had barely noticed two of them before. I automatically knew she wouldn't hesitate to kill me. She was a warrior. I could see that easily.

 I met her narrowed gaze with my own dark one. She blinked once before sitting back on her knees, allowing me to breathe. I sat up and stared at her. She must have recognized me or something to change the atmosphere of the situation so fast. I certainly didn't recognize her, but that didn't mean I didn't know her.

 She didn't look as if she would say anything, staring at me as she was. So I decided to speak first. "I am called Echo. What are you called?"

 She blinked. "Apphia. My name is Apphia." She looked around, eyes narrowed and slightly wild. She was on her feet in a second. "We need to get out of here. They're coming. They're coming now." She ran to the corner of one wall and pressed her hands up against it. She seemed to be trying to see through the wall.

 I got to my feet and walked slowly over to her. "Apphia? What is it? What's coming?" I looked over her shoulder and I saw she was looking through a small crack running up the length of the wall.

Apphia looked over her shoulder. "The Demons. They think they'll find solace in this room. It's the only one free of the flames. Of the horror. It's why we're here. It's where they throw the Angels when they fall." Her voice was quiet, barely above a whisper. "And before you ask, I am an Angel. They just took my wings. I was lucky they allowed me this chance for a new life. But that's a conversation for another time." She looked back to the crack. "We'll have to claw our way out. It will be hard. I can guarantee that."

 That was when I noticed the blood and the jagged holes. It looked like someone had taken a knife and stabbed her then dragged the knife slowly down. I winced just at the sight of it. The wounds were dark with blood. But they were no longer bleeding. "Don't stare," she murmured. "It's rude."

 I shook my head quickly, pulling myself from staring at the wounds. "Sorry. I-I've just never seen something like that before. Not like this."

 She shrugged. "I know. I never had before, either. Although, it doesn't really bother me. Though I am sure it will at some point. I'm sure I'll want to be able to fly again, even if I can't go back to Heaven."

 I nodded, watching her carefully. "I won't ask now, because we don't really have the time to talk, but, you will eventually tell me what you did to deserve this kind of pain, won't you?"

 "Will you?"

 I smiled to myself. "I don't know. Maybe." I narrowed my eyes so I could look through the hole. "But right now don't we need to get out of here?"

 "Are you ready to endure the fiery pain of the fires and the crushing pain of the Demons? They will try to rip your wings from your body. They will try to crush your spirit and steal your soul."

 I took a step back and Apphia turned to look at me. "I know this because I have been out there. You found me recovering from my latest venture out there. I honestly don't know if I can go back out there. My Angel blades injure them, but without the power my wings gave me they aren't as powerful."