30: I Spy

Jack's POV

As soon as my feet hit the ground, I rolled out of sight, peering around. There were no guards around at the moment, and I knew I had to be careful. I was off to visit Mark again, but this time I would be doing so without Agro. We would have to stay in town this time so that I didn't get him into anymore trouble. I darted towards the bridge, crouching low to the ground and keeping my feet light as I ran. Once I made it over the bridge and across the dark, quiet rushing river, I stood up and walked normally across the streets. It was late, and very few people were awake. My thoughts were on my father and this wedding as I approached Mark's house. The prospect of decorating and keeping everything in order as the days became numbered was draining me of my energy. I hadn't seen Mark in some time since my duties had kept me away, and then once I learned that someone had broke into the castle and attempted to attack the guards, I was on lock down for awhile. It was a long process that in the end drove me mad from staying in the castle for so long, but now I was free.

I knocked on Mark's door, a smile on my face as I prepared to meet him. I wondered how he'd fared in the past couple of days. I hoped he had missed me as much as I had him, and I couldn't wait to inform him about the break in and the possibility of postponing the wedding as a result. I figured some good news would make him happy, but when he opened the door, all my thoughts were washed away by concern. His eyes were heavy, and dark, as though he hadn't been sleeping very well the past couple of days. He was covered in cuts and small bruises, and I began to worry greatly that something had happened to him that I wasn't aware of. Mark's eyes widened greatly with shock, and he pushed against me, looking around wildly before grabbing my arm and pulling me inside with great force, sending me stumbling into his table. Mark slammed the door and quickly drew the curtains over the windows without saying a word. I opened my mouth to speak, but Mark rounded on me.

"What are you doing here?" he hissed, and I felt fear and disappointment shoot through me. Had I done something wrong? I sat down slowly, keeping his gaze with confusion and sadness swelling in my chest. Mark seemed to realize that I didn't know what was going on, and that only made him twice as frantic. "Oh Jack, you don't know, do you?" he asked, and I shook my head, my eyes narrowed in confusion and ponderment. "Jack, I was the one who broke into the castle." My eyes widened in surprise, but I said nothing as he carried on. "The General came and threatened me, telling me I had to stay away from you because he knew what we did on our trip into the mountains, and he was threatening to reveal all of it to the king. I had to find out what was going on, so I went into the castle a couple of nights ago and interrogated a guard. We have a major problem, the General has a soldier tailing us. He's been following you everywhere, and I'm worried that you've brought him here with you, which is bad for you in every way possible." My eyes widened, and Mark suddenly demanded my silence. I felt anger and betrayal rise in my chest, and I began to breathe heavily at the complications this caused. I stood slowly, and Mark pointed at the door where we heard a small scratching noise; the sound of a quill on parchment.

Mark burst through the door, nearly knocking it down, and I followed him out. We turned, watching as a guard began to stride away from us, his pace quickening into a run as Mark took off after him. I cursed myself for not bringing Agro this time and followed after shutting Mark's door for him. I followed the pair, pushing myself with all my might to catch up with Mark, and by then I was already out of breath.

"Who is this guy?" I shouted over the wind howling in my ears. Mark was panting next to me, but his eyes were slanted and glaring directly at the man in front of us. He had a target, and as a soldier, elimination was in his gaze and the fire of a thousand suns seemed to be fueling his anger and his agility.

"His name is Larcen, he's a soldier paid off by the General to follow you. I don't know how much he knows, but I'm going to find out!" I watched as Mark sped even faster, and I began to slow as I could hardly run any longer. I watched as a few moments later, Mark tackled the soldier onto the hard cobblestone streets and sending his book and quill flying in front of him as he crashed onto the ground. Mark stood and grabbed the man by his feet, dragging his body out of sight as we were precariously close to the bridge and in sight of the castle. I grabbed the man's things, tossing the quill into the river so that it was never to be written with again and opened the book to the very beginning. I joined Mark where he stood behind a couple of houses and out of sight, and he was dangling Larcen over the river by his feet, his long hair sweeping down and along with the currents of the river. "Who hired you? Why are you following the Prince? You will tell us everything you know or so help me I will toss you into this river."

"I-I can't swim!" the man cried out, swinging around with his hands, but Mark only shook his roughly.

"I guess you'd better start talking then." I turned away, not really fond of watching Mark drown another man for information, and began to read through the book. The handwriting was written neatly, and clearly as though it were meant for any pair of eyes to read but the writer's. Everything was logged down carefully, and in great detail, and I realized that since the day I was told that Mark was training me I was being followed, simply because the General didn't like my opinion about the marriage and therefore didn't trust me to be on my own. I could hear a gagging noise, and I turned to find Mark dunking Larcen's head under the river water. I shot him a warning glance, and he rolled his eyes before bringing the man back above the surface and letting him breathe. I flipped through the pages until I found the account about our trip into the mountains.

"The Prince resides in the same spot on the cliffside over the mountains. He overlooks the entire valley and seems to call it his own. He mumbles of being on his own, away from the kingdom. This sounds of treason indeed, what kind of prince readily abandons his kingdom? Before I could get closer to hear anything else, the soldier that you assigned him for training showed up, and their friendship is clear, more than clear. There is a tension in the air that even as an outsider I could see.

They sleep for the night while I fast and deny rest, I am being paid for this after all. I follow the pair through breakfast, and I watch as they leave and locate a small pond to endure the warm day with one another in cool water. They blatantly ignore the order to return home as soon as possible, and they stay with each other. There is talk of running away, a common subject for our traitorous prince, and they pair seem to consider it deeply. I then cannot believe my eyes as I watch them engage in a passionate kiss, which leads them to their sleeping place. The unholy things that followed I will not name, but I must report that it was indeed against the will of God and thy kingdom. This must be stopped! This must be considered treason of the highest order! I had to rub myself with holy water after seeing such nonsense, and I prayed from the moment I saw until the morning after when we left the mountains. Once they returned to find the kingdom in shackles did the Prince make a choice actual worth commemorating about marrying the princess.

End of report.

I held a hand over my mouth, shock taking over me and fear settling in. It had been the first time since I had feared for my life, knowing that simply because I was part of the royal family didn't save Mark or myself from banishment, or worse. They knew everything, and it would take the General mere minutes to explain everything to my father and for him to deal punishment. I looked over at Mark, who let the soldier go, watching Larcen as he sprinted away. I felt uncertain, and beyond ready to go through with anything that was about to occur. He walked over to me, resting his hands on my shoulders as I looked at him.

"Mark, he knows everything." Mark nodded, and then embraced me in a rough hug. I hugged him back, feeling myself beginning to fall apart in his arms, but he pulled back and shook his head.

"Don't worry, okay? I'll-I'll write a letter to my mother, and I'll say goodbye that way, I'll tell her everything. I have to escort the princess into the castle tomorrow, and the royal king, so you have time to pack. Then, the day after that or the following one, we'll get the hell out of here. Right before your marriage, but when neither of us are expected or needed so we can buy time before they come looking for us. How does that sound?" he asked me, and I nodded, wiping my eyes as they began to form tears. Mark hugged me again, wrapping me up and pulling me into his chest. "It's all going to be okay, I promise."

~~~

Hope you all enjoyed! Have yourselves a frantastic week, and I'll see you all in the next one!

~Jay