12.11.2290 MON - Of the People

The line to Trashcan Carla had since formed into a semi-circle of ravenous hands and entitled shouts.

"I'm all outta flat crap, you bloatflies!" Carla growled. "Hey, watch it!"

"Alright, that's enough," said Hancock, stepping into the fray. The sign-lusting crowd refused to part, and Hancock, not often ignored, muttered a tch and rejoined Piper at the freshly weeded curb. "Maybe we should pull a gun on 'em."

"Yeah, if we could maybe not resort to pulling a gun on every person that pisses us off, that'd be good." Piper puffed her hair out of her face. "Said the reporter who literally did that earlier this month."

"To the ghoul who brought in guns to keep this shit from happening."

"You wanted to stop the protest?"

"Nah, protest is good. I wanted to stop people from tramplin' on our rights. Remind 'em that Goodneighbor is a good neighbor if they don't go stealin' shit from people we're protecting."

"This is out of hand." Piper sighed and jotted down some more notes. How would she describe a wild mob of people hellbent on making signs, but do it without mocking the process, all while staying truthful to the way they did it? At least they weren't gathering up arms, but now Carla would probably stay away from Sanctuary for a bit, and then their local junk dealer would be out of supplies too. Actually, that's what had started this whole mess. "Think they'll start tearing up walls for scraps?"

"For a sign? Nah, they'll just paint shit on the street in front of the Embassy."

"Great."

"Maybe we oughta let them have their say," Hancock said with a shrug. "Protests are this kind of magical pre-war thing, so let 'em live in that fantasy for a while. Who knows, maybe it ain't such a fanciful idea after all. Maybe somethin'll come of it."

"But will something come from you?"

"Nah, not from me. Hell, what are they even protesting again?"

"They don't want to eat food so close to meatbags."

"So they can cook their own damn food."

"Yeah, that's not gonna happen. They've gotten used to this."

Hancock took off his hat and swept a hand over his bald head. Maybe it was a habit, from a time when he had hair, if that's how he'd kept it. Or maybe he just had an itch. "Are you used to it?"

"What? Having people cook for me?"

"Yeah."

"Maybe a little."

"You wanna keep that going? Let this ghoul make you some dinner tonight?"

"You're gonna give me an interview?"

"No, I'm gonna make you dinner."

"Oh." Piper ran through what that would entail. Going to his place. Sitting down. Watching him cook? Helping him cook? Arriving after everything was cooked and sitting down and letting him serve her? Would he eat with her? What would they talk about?

"Oh..."

He meant...

"You feelin' what I'm sayin', Pipes?"

"I'm feeling like I'm still sad about Blue, and maybe it wouldn't be smart to...you know."

"Yeah, I get it. Thought maybe it'd cheer you up."

"Oh. That's what you meant."

"Yeah. Wasn't asking you out or anything."

"Right. Heh. That'd be silly, I mean, me, a reporter, you, a mayor, conflict of interest, we don't even really like each other, yeah, super weird." She fiddled with her pen. "I mean, let's be honest, I know you don't mind the weird, maybe you prefer it, but yeah, totally, I totally knew what you meant. Nooooooo big deal."

Hancock chuckled. "You're really funny when you're flustered, Pipes."

"A regular comedian," she said. The crowd began to disperse. "Looks like everyone's got what they need. Maybe this protest can properly start?"

"Should I head back with 'em?"

"I don't think they even see you here."

"Maybe that says something about protesting pointless shit."

"And what should they be protesting, Mr. Mayor?"

Hancock lit up a cigarette. "The Minutemen's invasion of a sovereign city? The fact that a prison's being built under their noses or lack thereof? That there ain't a proper democracy in Minutemen settlements?"

"Yeah?" Piper made some shorthand marks in her notes. "How do you know no one's protesting that? That no one's putting on a counter protest?"

"Guess I don't."

"Who would you like to see run for office in a Minutemen democracy?"

"Shit if I know. Ain't my place to say."

"Do you believe Blue-General Nora-would be a good pick?"

Hancock inhaled deeply, slowly, and exhaled the same way. It was enough to let the passersby get out of earshot. "You lookin' for a quote, Pipes?"

She shrugged her brows and shoulders. "Maybe, but I think you might be onto something here, Hancock."

He gave her the rest of his cigarette. "You know, Pipes, I think you're right." He tipped his hat to her and followed the crowd.

* * *

GOODNEIGHBOR MAYOR HANCOCK CALLS FOR MINUTEMEN DEMOCRACY

by Piper Wright

In a shocking move Monday afternoon, Goodneighbor Mayor and Ambassador John Hancock denounced the military structure of the Minutemen government, and called for the Minutemen and citizens of their protected settlements to consider democratic methods of leadership. The announcement was made from the rooftop of the Goodneighbor Embassy in Sanctuary Hills, amidst protests led by Sanctuary citizen, Cole Penny.

The protests are part of a chain reaction of events, starting with Hancock's offer to Barname, the only bar and restaurant in Sanctuary Hills, to operate out of the Embassy while Barname's current building undergoes renovations to receive running water. Cole Penny, a neighbor of the Embassy, believes hosting Barname at the Embassy will lead to an increase in localized noise and disruptive activity. Soon after Hancock's proposal and Penny's public objection, Minutemen conducted a controversial raid against Strong, a citizen of Sanctuary who happens to live on Embassy land. Meatbags were forcibly removed from Strong's home during the raid, after Minutemen unofficially declared them to be a health hazard. Mayor Hancock had called this an invasion of Goodneighbor's sovereign land, and, although Strong's property was returned, the political relationship between Goodneighbor and the Minutemen has since tensed. Armed members of the Neighborhood Watch, Goodneighbor's law enforcement and military force, arrived early Sunday to protect the Embassy, the day before the protest and Mayor Hancock's announcement.

Scientists of Minutemen General Nora's small council, as well as a local Sanctuary doctor, have both supported the effort to provide running water to citizens, citing a significant reduction in health risks and an overall rise in prosperity. Sanctuary's medical clinic was the first to receive running water, and the results of the hookup as it relates to public health are currently being analyzed by experts. No comment has been made regarding the relationship between meatbags and public health.

After Mayor Hancock made his announcement, many protestors set down their signs and engaged in dialogue with both the Mayor and each other regarding a shift in governmental structure. Cole Penny and his core supporters continued to protest the proposed move of Barname to the Embassy. Although talks have since begun between citizens and Hancock, helping to repair some of the relations between Goodneighbor and Sanctuary, no official statements have been made by Minutemen leadership. Citizens who engaged in the dialogue with Mayor Hancock loosely discussed holding a public meeting Thursday night in Barname, in an effort to peacefully organize and draft documents concerning a governmental restructure. No one has stepped forward to organize the talks.