12.1.2290 FRI - Miss Dearborn

County Crossing Defeats Raiders

Minutemen repelled raiders from County Crossing last Friday, after the raiders, thought to be based nearby, attacked at approximately 1:59 AM. The raiding party numbered seven raiders total, two armed with highly modified missle launchers reported stolen from Diamond City earlier this week. Witnesses claim the raiders appeared to have no motive other than destruction.

Thanks in part to local defenses and guards trained by Minutemen leaders, County Crossing kept the raiders from infiltrating the farm and destroying much more than a water pump. Once Minutemen reinforcements arrived, the raiders were felled within minutes.

"I don't know what we'd do without the patrols," said Anne Wilson, a local merchant in County Crossing. "These souls brave the Commonwealth and give up settling in one place just to keep us all safe."

When asked if the Minutemen General made an appearance, Wilson replied, "Not this time, but we never expect her to show up personally for every problem our settlements face. She does her best to visit whenever possible, and often drops off supplies or blueprints and materials for better structures or defenses. The patrols do fine work, and if she trusts them, I trust them."

Settlers in County Crossing thanked the patrols and the protected supply lines for the rapid repair of the broken water pump. "We've already flushed the pipe and are getting fresh water again," said Byron Jones, captain of the guard in County Crossing. "We've made certain to return the stolen weapons to Diamond City too."

The weapons were returned safely, according to a spokesperson for Diamond City Security, so there is no need for caravans to be on heightened alert. "Make certain that any criminals who catch word of this know that the weapons have been returned to their rightful owner, and that security here in Diamond City has been re-evaluated and strengthened to avoid future thefts."

* * *

"Hmm."

Piper Wright leaned back in the sofa and tapped her pen on her chin. She hemmed harder, then squinted at the piece, giving it another re-read. Murmuring the article's title, she sat forward, invading the personal space of the author whose work she scrutinized. The lobby at Publick Occurrences' Sanctuary satellite office was cozy. That was the way Piper spun it, anyway.

"Jun?" Piper leaned to her side, showing Jun the work. He held one side of the page and scanned it with his somber eyes, then pointed to something. Piper gave a brief nod, used her free hand as a writing surface, and circled that something. It made the author across from her squirm a little, but that was part of the act.

Joanna Dearborn looked a lot like a pencil, thin and angular, with a pointy nose. Her light white cheeks were rouged with an eraser-pink blush, giving her a youthful look. She even dressed in a yellow so bright, Piper wondered if she'd ever stepped foot outside a settlement before. She obviously had, because Piper would've noticed someone so prim and bright walking around Sanctuary Hills.

"Pardon me," said Dearborn, "but is everything all right with my article?"

Piper put on a show and hemmed again. She lowered the article into her and Jun's laps and said, "Miss Dearborn, where's your byline?"

"My byline?"

"The thing that attributes your work to you?"

"Oh, did I forget that?" If she were blushing, it was hard to tell. "I am so sorry. I will correct that right away."

"You might want to correct your spelling of 'missile' too," Piper added. "And by the way, don't you mean Anne Wallace? Or does CoCross have another Anne doing business?"