Chapter Five (Final Chapter)

Chapter Five

“Eve! Wake up!” Larkin yelled. Groaning, Eve rolled over drowsily onto her side. ‘What was all this yelling about?’ She thought groggily. “You have to go! Now!” Suddenly Eve was wide awake. ‘Go? What did he mean go? He wanted her to leave?’

Fear and sadness washed over her. ‘What did she do wrong? Was it because she was a Shifter? He seemed okay with it last night. Maybe something changed’. Tears sprung to into her eyes, angrily Eve wiped them away. Seeing the moisture filling Genevieve’s eyes, Larkin rushed over to her.

“No, no. I don’t want you to go, but you have to. Look.” He explained, leading her to the only window in his little cabin.

 Peering outside Genevieve could see a line of torches glowing in the distance; they grew in brightness as they came closer to Larkin’s cottage. Panic flooded her body, they were coming for her. They had to be. Memories from her childhood tried to force their way into her head, but Eve viciously pushed them away. This was not a good time to reminisce.

“Now, I don’t want you to start panicking.” Larkin said calmly, taking her into his arms. “We don’t know why they’re coming here, but just as a precaution I want you to go hide in Rosalily Woods where they can’t see you. If something happens, I want you to run and keep running. Don’t turn back, you here me? Don’t turn back.” Tears began to fall down her face, wetting her cheeks. She held onto Larkin tightly, burying her face into his chest.

“Hey, it going to be okay. I promised you that you would be safe with me. Nothing will happen to you. I will find always find you, okay? Now you have to go.” Pulling her towards the door, Larkin cast a worried glance towards the approaching line of torches.

“Come with me.” Eve hurriedly said.

“I can’t. They’ll find me real quick. I can’t move as fast as you. I’ll be fine, they won’t hurt a human. You’ll see.”  Opening the door of the cabin, Larkin urged her out. Turning around to catch a quick glimpse of him, Genevieve pulled him to her with surprising strength.

Tilting her chin up, Larkin brushed her beautiful blonde hair out of her face before he pressed his lips against hers one last time. Feeling the way her soft lips moved against his. A part of him just knew that this would be the last time that he would see her, and it broke his heart.

“Now go.” Larkin ordered, giving her a serious look. Nodding, Eve darted over to the edge of the trees, but paused just before she entered their shadowy depths.

“I love you, Larkin.” She whispered softly, her beautiful face was etched with sorrow. It was the first time she’d ever said it to him, but Lark new she’d loved him before this moment.

“I love you too, Miss Genevieve.” Flashing his cheeky grin, Larkin winked at her as she turned her back and plunged into the trees.

Staring into the trees for a few seconds after Eve disappeared; Lark felt a sadness fill his chest. At least he knew she was safe now. It was the hardest thing for him saying goodbye to Genevieve. Although he told her that they wouldn’t harm him, it was just a lie to get her to leave. From the tales he’d heard, they would go to any lengths to kill a Werewolf and anybody harbouring the creatures.

‘Someone must’ve seen her change last night,’ Lark thought bitterly. They should’ve been more careful. Anger began to drown out the sadness; he would not let them hurt her. ‘Eve is different from the Werewolves in the tales. She’s not even a Werewolf! She’d never kill anybody!’

Frustrated, Larkin paced back and forth through the cabin. There was nothing he could do but wait for them to arrive with their torches and weapons. ‘Hopefully Eve is far away from here by now,’ but he knew her better than that, she would be somewhere nearby watching and listening to everything.