Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Stepping out of his arms, Eve turned her back on him and walked towards the edge of the lake. As soon as she left his arms, Lark got an uneasy feeling. He just wanted to run after her, scoop her up and take her back home. Restraining himself, he watched her carefully. Wondering what she was about to do.

Sliding off the thin straps of the delicate, white lace dress, Eve let it fall to the ground and pool in a rumpled heap at her feet. The last thing she’d want to do was ruin such a beautiful gift when she changed into her wolf form.

The underwear she had on wasn’t much of a loss. All the clothes she had worn over the last two weeks had been whatever Larkin could trade for in the village. Most of which had been either too big or too small. Nothing was of real value, except for the dress. It must’ve taken a lot to get it.

Watching Genevieve a few metres away, Larkin was surprised when she slipped off the dress. ‘Was she going to swim in the lake? Or was she going to tell him some horrible story as to how she had gotten one of those scars?’ Along her back, Eve had a long jagged scar as if she had been cut by a knife or clawed by an animal. If Larkin had to guess, he’d go with the animal, it made him feel much better than thinking that someone would intentionally hurt her.

The urge to go over to her grew stronger, he had to protect her. But then something unusual began to happen. It appeared as if Genevieve’s skin was moving. Little waves formed on her shoulder blades and rolled down her back like a wave. As the waves formed, Eve fell to the ground as if she was in pain.

“Stay where you are! Don’t move!” Eve cried out to Lark, as if she could tell what his intentions were. It pained him not to go to her, whatever was happening to her was unnatural and Larkin didn’t know how to stop it, he didn’t want to see her suffer.

When her bones began to crack, Lark could feel each bone as if they were his own. Genevieve was so strong though, she didn’t cry out once and Larkin respected her wishes and stayed where he was, witnessing her transformation.

Transforming into her wolf form always appeared painful, but it was like shedding an old skin. It was an empowering experience, Eve would get faster, stronger and all her scenes heightened. The arrow wound throbbed as she changed, but she was strong enough to handle it.

Golden fur the same colour as her hair sprung out of Eve’s skin and rippled over the rest of her body. The remainder of her clothes tore off of her and fell in tatters on the ground as she changed. Little golden ears peaked out of the top of her head and her face elongated until it became a muzzle.

The whole process only took a few seconds. The gorgeous girl that was just standing in front of him had transformed in a golden wolf. Staring at the little wolf in shock, Larkin took a few moments to process everything.

‘Genevieve is a…MY Genevieve is a…What? A Werewolf? Is this possible?’ Staring into the wolf’s icy blue eyes, Larkin knew very well that this was possible.

Ever since he was a young lad he’d heard tales of Werewolves and other creatures lurking through forests. He’d never believed the stories like others had, some people had even claimed to have injuries from Werewolves. Now he knew they must be true, Werewolves were real and he had witnessed that first hand.

This wolf in front of him though, it wasn’t some kind of monster. It was Genevieve. His Genevieve. Over the last two weeks Larkin had seen how sweet and caring she was. There was no way she could ever be as dangerous as the wolves in the tales.

Hesitantly, the golden wolf took a few steps towards Larkin before she stopped, lowering her head and waiting for him to make the next move. Larkin closed the gap between them and kneeled in front of Genevieve. Slowly, so he didn’t startle her, Lark lifted his hand and stroked her beautiful golden fur. It was just as soft as Genevieve’s hair.

The two of them sat on the lakes edge, gazing out at the water. After a while, Eve lowered her head in Lark’s lap and he aimlessly stroked her fur. As strange as it was having Eve as a wolf, she still felt the same in his arms. Lark rambled on about meaningless thoughts that entered his head, but Eve seemed to be content to listen to his murmurings.

Hopping up from Lark’s lap, Eve patted a few metres away. Listening to her bones break and reform was just as painful for Lark to listen to as the first time. It was amazing how a deadly predator could transform into such a gentle and kind woman.

Once she had fully changed back into her human form, Eve ducked over to where her white, lacy dress laid and pulled it back on. Lark’s eyes followed her every movement, she was so beautiful and elegant. The way she moved was with an otherworldly grace.

Worriedly, Eve turned towards Larkin. ‘He seems to be taking the wolf thing well. At least he didn’t try to kill me and he let me lay my head on him. Maybe he’s accepted what I am.’  Eve thought hopefully, but those nagging doubts were still there.

Seeing the doubts wash over Eve’s once again human face, Larkin could guess where her thoughts were leading her. Striding over to her, Lark took her into his arms and held her tightly.

“It doesn’t matter to me if you’re a Werewolf. You’re still the same beautiful, kind and sweet girl that you are now.” Larkin told her as she buried her face into his neck.

“I’m a Shifter. Not Werewolf.” Ever clarified, holding onto him tightly. Feeling her arms around him, Larkin knew that Genevieve needed him as much as he needed her.

Before he’d met Eve, his life had been empty. It was the same thing every day. But then she suddenly appeared in his life, someone that needed and wanted him. Genevieve made him laugh and smile more than anyone else ever had.  It didn’t matter to him if she changed into an animal occasionally, he could take the shedding.

Lifting her head up, Larkin bent down and pressed his lips against her soft, rosy ones. She tasted like spring grass after it had rained and she smelled like lavender. It was the most intoxicating combination and he couldn’t get enough of her.

“Let’s go home, my Genevieve.” Larkin murmured. A giggle bubbled from her lips as Larkin picked her up and made his way back to his cabin, holding her in his arms.

Just on the edge of the glade, two brothers witnessed the scene with wide eyes. Larkin and Genevieve had been so distracted by the night’s events that the brothers had escaped their notice. The two boys couldn’t believe what they had just seen. Excitedly, the boys clambered from their hiding spot, chattering amongst themselves with loud whispers.

“It’s a Werewolf! They’re real! Just like the ones in the stories!” The eldest cried excitedly, dragging his younger brother by the arm.

“What if it attacks the village? Like Grandpa told us?” The youngest mumbled, looking up at his brother with fear in his eyes.

“Don’t worry about that”, He reassured his younger brother. “I’ll make sure it won’t hurt anyone ever again. I promise.”

The younger brother nodded, looking much happier. His brother had always kept his promises. The two boys pushed their way through the trees, back towards their little village to relay the tale of the monster they’d just seen.

**~~** What do you think the village will do once they hear about Eve? Are you guys glad Lark accepted Eve? Remember to vote and comment! **~~**