Chapter Three

Chapter Three

The last two weeks with Larkin had been the happiest weeks of her life. There was no one depending on her to make all the decisions, she didn’t have anyone to look after, and there was no constant fear of discovery. It was easy being around him, he had a way of always cheering her up and he always had a big goofy grin on his face. Just the thought of it brought a smile to her face.

The arrow wound had almost healed though and Eve knew that when she was better, he’d no longer feel indebted to her and she’d have to go. The smiled that played on Eve’s rosy lips immediately dropped.

“Hey, what’s the matter?” Larkin asked as he clomped into the cottage. It was late afternoon and the sun was just about to set, Lark always got home at about this time.

“Oh, it’s nothing.” Eve shrugged him off, but Lark had grown to know her well enough that he knew when she was lying.

Nodding, Lark walked over to her. He knew when to give her space and not push the issue; it’d only make things worse. Grabbing onto her tiny, soft hands, Larkin pulled her up and dragged her towards the door.

“Come with me, I want to show you something.” Lark grinned at her and winked, pulling open the door. Still holding one of her hands, Lark led the way out of the cabin.

Out of the two weeks she’d been here, she’d hardly ever stepped outside. Looking around, Eve decided that Rosalily Woods was still just as hot and miserable looking as it did the first time she laid eyes on it. The air held no moisture and leaves on the elms were a horrible dark green colour, it was nothing compared to her home.

“My forest is so much more beautiful than yours.” Eve voiced her thoughts aloud while Larkin led her through the trees.

“You live in a forest?” Larkin asked curiously. Genevieve had never mentioned anything about where she lived or how she came to be here, he hardly knew anything about her past. Any information she offered, Larkin would drink it up like an animal that hadn’t seen water in days.

“Yes. It’s very different. Mine is covered in snow and ice. No heat touches the land.” She explained in an odd tone. ‘I wonder if she wants to go back there,’ Larkin thought sadly. ‘I don’t want to let her go yet.’

“I couldn’t imagine a place with no warmth.” Larkin told her matter-of-factly. “Where almost there,” that cheeky grin appeared back on his face and a small giggle escaped from Eve’s lips. To Larkin, her giggle was the most beautiful sound he’d ever heard, it was like the tinkling of bells.

The white sundress that Genevieve wore swayed as she walked. It was really quite a beautiful dress; it was made purely out of delicate lace and fell just above her knees. It had been a present from Larkin, Eve had no idea where he’d gotten it from. There must be a village somewhere near here or something.

Looking at the handsome man leading her, Eve felt a swell of affection towards him. His light golden hair seemed to glow a warm orange as the sun began to set. Out of all the humans she’d met, there’d been none she hadn’t wanted to eat until she met Lark. It was refreshing, there was something about him that made her want to protect him from anything, he was her human.

Pushing away a few branches of an elm tree, Lark let Eve walk into the glade first. The scene before her took her breath away.

A small stream flowed steadily, cascading over the rocks and spilling into a crystalline lake. Water lily’s bobbed on the flat surface of the water and Eve could hear the sound of a frog croaking. Everything in the glade was so green. It had seemed impossible to have anything thrive under the harsh sun, but this little area was vibrant and healthy. It was so strange to her compared to the frigid landscape she came from.

Thousands of wild flowers carpeted the grass; Genevieve could smell the sweet scents of Freesia, Jasmine, and Lavender along with other flowery aromas. Streaks of light from the setting sun reflected off the water, illuminating the glade in beautiful shades of pink and orange.

Watching Genevieve’s face light up as she wandered through the glade made a wave of satisfaction wash over Larkin. He knew she’d love this place. There seemed to be a glow that now surrounded Eve, she looked absolutely breathtaking under the sunset.

“How is everything so green?” Genevieve asked him, wonder filling her tone as she picked up a flower.

“This little glade is at the bottom of a very steep hill.” Larkin pointed to the east. “When it rains, all the water runs off the hill and gathers here. Sometimes it’s flooded for months. This is the greenest area in all of Rosalily Forest.”  

Walking over to Genevieve, Lark slipped his arms around her thin waist and pulled her close to him, hugging her. It felt so good having her in his arms; it just felt right, like she belonged there. For a moment he worried that she’d pull away from him, but she didn’t. Surprising him, Eve laid her head on his strong chest and they both gazed out into the lake.

The sun had disappeared, taking the last of the light with it. A crescent moon began its journey across the night sky bringing with it shadows and darkness. The night was Eve’s favourite time, she could move about as a wolf, staying undetected by the humans as they slept. Fear stabbed at her when she realised she had to tell Larkin about what she was.

‘What if he freaks out? Or even worse, tries to kill you? You could never hurt him.’  Eve took a few deep breaths, trying to calm the rapid pounding of her heart. Over thinking would only make the situation worse.

“You’re shaking.” Larkin told her worriedly, rubbing his hands up and down her arms as if she were cold.

“There’s something I have to tell you.” Eve said nervously, turning in his arms so she was facing him. She couldn’t look at his handsome face though. Eve casted her eyes towards the ground, avoiding his questioning brown eyes.

Gently, Larkin placed his hand on Eve’s rosy cheek, lifting her face up so he could look into her beautiful, frosty blue eyes. He ran his other hand through her long, golden waves; her hair was so incredibly soft.

“Whatever it is, you can tell me.” Larkin looked right into her eyes as he told her that, so she could see how sincere he was. Taking another shaky deep breath, Eve nodded.

“Okay, but it’ll be easier if I show you…Just please don’t freak out.” The nervous expression on Eve’s face was the most adorable thing he’d ever seen. But he knew whatever it was that he was about to witness was hard for her.

**~~** Do you think Lark will freak out? Will he try to kill her or accept her? Remember to vote and comment! **~~**