2. I Trust You, Always Have

~Merlin~

Standing out in a field, facing an armoured Arthur while being in armour myself, I regret thinking this could ever be fun.

"Ready?" Arthur asks.

"Would it make any difference if I said no?" I reply.

"Not really." Drawing my sword, Arthur goes to attack. "Body. Shield. Body. Shield."

"Shield."

"Head."

"Head?!" Arthur hits my helmeted head with his sword. "Ow."

"Come on, Merlin. You're not even trying." Arthur tags me on the back. 

"I know. Ah. If only I could use magic, you know. I'd take you out. Easy."

"Even if you could, it wouldn't do much to help me for the tournament. Now, would it?"

"No, it wouldn't. But, at least it would be more fun for me." We both laugh at that. 

"We wouldn't want that, Merlin." Arthur chuckles a bit more. "Once more."

"Oh, no."

Arthur goes in again. "To the left. To the right. And left. Head," hitting me on the head again.

"Ow!"

"Come on, Merlin! I've got a tournament to win!"

"Can we stop now, please?" I didn't speak fast enough cause Arthur did not seem to even here me. "Ow! Shield. Body."

"Shield."

"Shield. Ah." Arthur hits me on the head again."Ow." I topple over, my helmet coming off once I hit the ground. 

"You're braver than you look. Most servants fall on the ground after the first blow."

"Is it over?"

"That was just a warm-up. How's your mace work coming along?" I sigh at that.

~~~~~

Walking into Gaius' chambers, the armour I'm wearing starts to fall off. 

Gaius chuckles then says, "So, how was your first day as Arthur's servant?" 

Tapping my head, I reply, "Do you hear clanging?" Sitting at the table, Gaius starts to message my shoulders. "Ah! It was horrible and I still have to learn tournament etiquette by morning. onhrine achtung bregdan." The book I need slides over to me and opens. 

"Oi!" Gaius slaps the back of my head. "What've I told you about using magic like this?!"

"If I could actually feel my arms, I'd pick the book up myself."

"Never mind your arms. What do I do if you get caught?"

"Hope Arthur could get me out of it? Beg him too." Chuckling slightly, I ask, "What would you do?"

"Well, you just make sure that doesn't happen. For both of our sakes." Gaius goes back to messaging my shoulders.

"Ah! I save Arthur's life and I end up his servant. How is that fair?"

"I'm not sure fairness comes into it. At least you can trust him with your secret. You never know, it might be fun."

Scoffing, I reply, "You think mucking out Arthur's stables is going to be fun? You should hear my list of duties."

"We all have our duties. Even Arthur."

"It must be so tough for him with all the girls and glory."