Epilogue

Several months later….

Maie was tucked under a leather clad arm that felt far too heavy on her shoulders, even the new Harley Davidson ‘Dyna’ model just felt wrong to Maie. The guy, Zack, or Zane or something climbed aboard, passing back the black helmet. Just as she was sliding the helmet over her forehead a flash of red and blue rolled past her vision, as she stepped around the bike she saw a teenage boy rolling through the car part towards a moving car as he got closer Maie was frozen in place, turning to hide her face in the leather shoulder of the boy beside her just as she expected to hear the impact the boy beneath her started to laugh, the movement jerking her from her position to stare at the totally unscathed boy standing behind the car that was still moving, as if it didn’t even realize it was there. The boy smiled, wiping his hand across his forehead, opening his arms and doing a slight bow.

Maie was off and running before she could think better of it, her focus intent on the ground beneath her, until she reached the spot the boy would have been, if he hadn’t of disappeared into what seemed thin air. It only took her a second to connect to her power, watching the ground to see the earth reveal the footsteps of the boy, who had hidden himself behind a backup generator. Maie released her power easily, glad that she hadn’t chosen to give up her power after…

Maie shook her head quickly, causing the memory to scramble. It still caused her pain, even after the last few months, Maie had tried her hardest to forget, changing practically everything about herself so that almost nothing was left. For a while afterwards, she’d even stopped using her magic, but Michael had promised. And so she had just done what she had to do; she survived.  She launched herself at the boy, his surprise at seeing her was not shocking to Maie, and he hadn’t expected her to find him that was for sure. She pinned him under her with her slightly superior weight.

“What the hell do you think you where – “Her question was cut off as the boy rolled her over and stood up in one swift motion, bringing Maie to a stand with him, their bodies only inches apart, her breath was hard and his face was only centimetres from hers, she leaned back slightly. Dyed red hair contrasted with a slightly tan skin, large yellow eyes with flecks of green. “...doing? Are you trying to get yourself killed?”

The boys face exploded with shock, and Maie watched as he spread his arms outwards a smile stretching onto his face, almost causing one of her own. “I am James Marlinelli, Magician Extraordinaire at your service.” A slight bow on his part put them back to being only centre meters apart.

“I’ll make you a deal” Maie stated, trying to make her voice steady and sure. “I’ll tell you my name, if you promise never to do that car trick again or anything that remotely dangerous” James smiled, a chuckle escaping his lips.

“Anything for you”

Maie smiled, the first time in months it seemed, her muscles had almost forgotten the motion. “Maie, it’s nice to meet you”  

Yes, Maie thought, it is nice to meet you again.