Chapter 11

The Ten Rings and too Close

Scarlet gasped, gulping up as much air as she could. Pain like she had never felt before radiated through her left arm. It was suspended above her, heavy coiled rope tied around her wrist, attached to a rusted metal hook, which hung above her. The stump of her right arm hung loosely by her side. Pain radiated from Scarlet's toes right up through her neck to her left arm. She was hanging by one arm at an angle, meaning her head didn't sit straight on her neck. The blood had started to drain from her feet, the prickling sensation of pins and needles irritated her senses. Squeezing her eyes shut, Scarlet willed for the pain to go away.

''Not so brave without the Winter Solider for protection are we,'' the voice came from somewhere behind her, but without the strength to turn, she couldn't see who it was.

''Who?'' The Winter Solider he had said, but the name was not one familiar to her. Should it have been?.

His voice, the one that had spoken, sparked something inside her, past dealings, with her previous boss perhaps. A boss she never knew or Challenged. Now she questioned them more than ever, regretting the times she hadn't.

''So what they've been saying is true, the great Doctor Williams reduced to nothing but an assistant of Tony Stark,'' they spat the word Stark as if it was some disease.

''What on earth are you on about?'' The words didn't have as much impact as Scarlet had first thought. Her throat had been too dry; the sentence fell flat against her lips.

''Let me take control. Let me help,'' Scarlet shuddered. Shadows voice was soft, almost pleading with her.

She shook her head, ''I can do this myself,'' the Shadow didn't seem to be in a fighting mood. Scarlet felt their hold fall away. Shadow wasn't going to force control over the body they shared today.

A shiver ran from the base of her spine right up to the back of her neck. Every inch of her body stood on end; the rough touch of a flesh hand came into contact with her wrist. Their fingers worked in quick succession, the rope falling away from her wrist. Scarlet's body dropped, the same pair of hands catching her before the dusty ground came into contact with her aching limbs. She was propped upright, and without a single word uttered, she was pulled through a fabric flap, out into the blinding sunlight.

Squinting her eyes, Scarlet tried to take in what was happing around her. Several men dressed in loose-fitting military wear, with bandannas, hung round their necks roomed the sanded ground. Weapons littered what Scarlet would categorise as a camp; air rifles, grenades, and Stark initialled bombs constantly crossed her vision.

"Scar?'' Scarlet thought she had been dreaming at first. There had been no doubt in her mind they had been separated during the attack on the jeep. She had thought he'd been protected, taken to safety. Clearly, she'd thought wrong as a dishevelled looking Tony Stark stood in front of her, but it wasn't the same Stark she knew, and it wasn't just because he looked like he'd be dragged through hell and back. Tucked under his arm was a battery pack, wires connecting to a point in the middle of his chest.

''Oh my god. Tony,'' she breathed, exhaustion overcoming her. Despite the pain he was in, he managed a small smile, one of relief. Scarlet was ok. She was alive.

The man holding Scarlet, grip tightened, stopping her from moving any closer to Tony and the equally bedraggled man next to him. Words spoken in a language she did not understand fell from her captures' mouth, spitting the last few. Scarlet didn't need to know the language to know he'd threatened either one or all of them. Tony had turned to the spectacled man next to him, who pushed said glasses further up his nose.

''He says, here's your motivation. You refuse. The girl dies,'' Scarlet felt the colour drain from her face, watching as it drained from Tonys' too. It took a moment for Tony to compose himself. Scarlet just hoped he'd thought about his response very carefully.

''Tell them I'll need her help. I won't be able to build it without her,'' the spectacled man nodded, translating Tony's words to the man holding Scarlet. His grip loosened slightly. Scarlet prayed that was a good sign.

She jumped. The loud, roaring laugh had taken her by surprise. Releasing the firm grip; he had had on her but didn't let her go completely. His hand fell haphazardly between breaks in his laughter. Pointing a finger in jest between Tony, Scarlet, and the man Scarlet was yet to be formally introduced to. A string of words in his native tongue spewed from the laughing man.

''He says as long as nothing else happens, she can help,'' the language was translated. Tony nodded, holding his hand out for the other man to take.

An uneasy feeling grew within Scarlet's gut, watching with narrowed eyes as the men shook hands. She was pushed forwards towards Tony, her balance faltering, tripping over a loose rock lodged in the dirt. Luckily the translator caught her by the upper arm before she fell. Muttering a thank you, Scarlet let him hold her steady while the trio was led towards an opening in the cave.

''I'm Yisan by, the way,'' Yisan introduced himself, whispering lowly in her ear while guiding her carefully through the entrance of the cave.

''Scarlet,'' offering her own name with a polite nod, ''What did he agree to build?'' She'd lowered her voice too, unsure of which of the surrounding men understood English and which did not.

''The Jericho,'' Yisan must have seen her reaction, wide eyes, her mouth hung open in shook because he hushed her, ''don't make a fuss it won't end well for any of us,'' nodding Scarlet kept her mouth shut. Although she wasn't sure how long she'd be able to.