Chapter 2

The Night Terror

At Five to, eleven Shadow found herself stood at the entrance to a hotel that was way too expensive for her to ever afford. The doorman gave her a once over, his eye lingering a little cautiously over her clothing. A thick black coat, paired with skin-tight leather trousers and long steel-toed boots, was obviously something he didn't see every day.

Never the less he opened the door; with a flourish. Extending, his arm he gestured for Shadow to go through.

She took in all the artwork that lined the walls. Each painting was worth more than anything she had ever owned. A large chandler swung slowly above her, its glass plated stones jangling softly in the breeze; from the open door.

Her boots; thundered against the tiled floor of the lobby as she made her way to the reception, where a young woman stood waiting for her. The women smiled politely in greeting when Shadow found herself in front of her

''Good evening, are you here to visit Mr Carlton Ma'am,'' the receptionist smiled again. However, this time the smile seemed to be out of force rather than politeness. Shadow also noticed how the women kept glancing to the right; before meeting her gaze again. Her voice also held the tone of someone who was in fear.

''I am. Could you tell me where to find them?'' the woman physically gulped before she began to type on her keyboard. The keys clacked as she typed hurriedly; still, she'd look up and to her right every so often.

''Mr Carlton is in room 103, which is on the third floor. Would you like me to ring and announce...''

''That won't be necessary,'' Shadow cut the receptionist, making her way swiftly towards the lift, ''thank you,'' she added, sending a wink towards the woman, whose hand was hovering over the phone.

Punching the number two button, followed by the button to close the doors, Shadow pulled her hood down. She found herself staring at her own reflecting. For a fleeting moment, she could have sworn a flicker of blue spiked in her irises, but she shrugged it. Sighing, she closed her eyes until the lift stopped at Carltons' floor.

Room 103 was situated to the left of the corridor. A metal 'do not disturb' sign hung on the handle, causing Shadows' eyebrows to raise. Did that apply to her? Even if it had, she was too impatient to find out. Ignoring the sign, she attempted knocking; for several seconds on the; hissing as the broken skin on her knuckles came into contact with the wood.

Within seconds the door swung open; before she knew it, she was dragged inside, a hand latching onto the neckline of her cloak. She laughed as she was flung across the room, her back clattering against another door, one she assumed led to a bathroom. The figure in front of her was not as amused as she was by their current situation.

"Didn't think you'd come," the figure gruffed out, his head tilting to the side as he took in her appearance.

"I don't think I would have had a choice. If I didn't come, you'd come to me. Right?'' She replied, taking a step forward. They now stood toe to toe with each other. Carlton was a good two inches taller than her, but that didn't stop her, being able to stand up to him. His brown eyes flicked from her own green ones to the gun strapped to her side.

'You Know me so well,'' He paused, a fleeting smile gracing his lips "Shadow. You know, when they told me that you were in control. I could hardly believe it. A Doctor turned assassin. How'd you achieve that one?''

''I... I don't remember how it happened. One moment I was the voice in her head. Now, she's the voice in mine,'' Shadow stuttered, turning away from him. Her feet shuffled across the carpet till she came to stand by the window.

''She's getting stronger, isn't she. You're still in there, Doc. You ain't giving up.''

''Shut up!'' Shadow yelled, the vein in her neck popped out from the fury coursing through her bloodstream, ''I'm in control, not her,'' she spat.

"But you're losing control, Shad. The blue I can see it, inching its way a little at a time, till your pretty green eyes are consumed,'' Carlton groaned, biting back a laugh as Shadows metal hand clamped around his neck, just enough pressure was applied for him to feel his airways becoming strained.

"Why did you bring me here, Oliver?" Shadow gritted her teeth, applying a little more pressure, causing the brown-eyed man to bring his hands up to claw at her arm.

''Maybe... if you stopped...chocking me... I'd tell you,'' Shadow relaxed her grip, Oliver fell spluttering to the floor. His hand reached up to tentatively cradle his throat.

''Now tell me? Otherwise, the pain will be much worse.''

"What you going to do? Sew my mouth up next?" His tone was confident, but as soon as Shadow took a step forward, he scrambled back, groaning as his head connecting with the base of the bed.

"If you don't tell me, I just might," she hissed, bending down to Oliver's level. His hand was resting on the back of his head, a pained expression filling his features.

''We have a mission. Together.''

''The Shadow and Night Terror. How cute,'' Shadow chirped, extending a hand for him to take. After some hesitation, Oliver eventually took her gesture and allowed her to pull him back up.

''Not the word I'd generally use, but yeah, we make quite a duo. Don't we?'' He smirked, looking up at her. His throat still hurt; he found himself massaging the spot in which moments ago, Shadows mental hand had been constraining his airways, ''god you could give The Winter Solider a run for his money with that arm,'' he muttered to himself.

''What is it we'll be doing exactly?''

She hadn't heard his last comment. Oliver was happy about that. He feared what the consequence would have been if that name triggered something deep within her. Something he knew had been buried since the explosion. Oliver knew more about The Shadow than she ever would.