Prologue

The summer heat was enough to keep even the most out-doorsy people stay inside where the houses offered cool air. Rachel Mull was one of these people. She watched from the balcony door as her fiancee swam about in the backyard pool. She would have joined him, but even the water seemed to be near boiling temperature today.

She laughed to herself and turned around, taking in the bedroom. Some of their things were still in boxes from the move, cluttering up the large master. She sighed and ran a hand through her curly hair. She figured she might as well do some unpacking.

First, she decided, I should go through Louis' things. Rachel went over to the boxes and started digging things out. She sorted them out, and put things away.

A box titled "Video games". She chuckled and placed the contents in the cupboards. Another box, this one titled "High School Memories". She decided to let Louis handle that.

However, something caught her eye. A box that was hidden among the others titled "Harry" stood out like a sore thumb to Rachel. There was nothing special about it. In fact, it looked almost exactly like the others. It was just the title written in black marker that seemed to jump out at her.

She slowly made her way over to it and looked inside. She furrowed her eyes and pulled out a bit of the content. It was just a stack of envelopes, banded together with rubber. Confusion flooded her mind, and she hesitantly pulled the band off. Why would Louis keep a bunch of old letters?

Rachel picked up one of the envelopes. Indeed, it was addressed to Louis. There was no return address, however. She flipped it over. The number 10 was written on the neatly opened flap. She bit her lip and set it down, picking up another envelope. This one was exactly the same, except for the number. This one had the number 3 on it.

She set it down and looked through the stack until she found the envelope with a 1 on it. Curiosity got the best of her, and she opened the envelope, taking out the paper inside. She sat on the bed.

This was going to be a long read.