Psychotic Aunts

She'd like to say it wasn't too bad. That somehow her aunt had magically found it in her tiny heart to forgive Lilly and move on from this little unfortunate incident.

Unfortunately for her, that wasn't the case. As soon as Toothstone had left, her aunt had gone on a massive rant, raging about how she had spoiled the only chance she was going to get at a rich suitor, how she should be grateful that her aunt took the pains to invite him, how she was selfish, rude, impertinent, a shame to ladyhood etc etc. Basically all the usual things Lilly was accustomed to being called. This she didn't mind so much, no she would have been happy if her aunt had just left it at that. It was what came next that really rattled her:

"That's it! to teach you ungrateful girl a lesson I'm going to send you off to a boarding home for troubled youths like you! you'll fit right in!"

Even this Lilly didn't mind so much at least she'd be away from the old hag.

"It's situated a day's drive outside of London near the country..."

THIS she minded. This she minded a lot. A day's travel outside London! Near the countryside! This couldn't happen! She had a job to go to everyday apart from the weekends! There was no way she'd be able to make it to work living that far out from London- or even if she did she wouldn't make it on time and being punctual was one thing her stone-head of a boss practically worshipped. Although you don't mind it.

"You are to leave immediately! Pack your things..."

Immediately?!? She'd really drove her aunt off her knocker this time.

"Wait! Dearest Aunt why do I have to go to a boarding home outside of London? Surely there's lots of places for troubled youth like me here in London itself! and it'll be more enriching, after all, youth here will be much more troubled and rowdy compared to youth in the country side-surely you want me to learn a proper lesson?"

Her aunt considered this, narrowing her eyes at Lilly as if to see through any guises. "Fine! You will go to a boarding home for troubled youths in London!..."

Lilly heaved a sigh of relief.

"...But since it'll be more expensive, you'll have to pay for it yourself! Your uncle and I aren't running a charity!"

And immediately wanted to take back her relief. Pay for it herself... luckily she had a job otherwise she had no idea how she'd be able to come up with the sum- definitely not with the meagre bits of change her uncle gave her when he remembered, which wasn't very often.

"Use your savings, I don't care! Your uncle and I have already been too generous!"

Her aunt obviously didn't share the same views.

Sighing, she resigned herself to her fate. She needed to find the cheapest boarding home to take her in. At least she would only have to be there on weekends. And she still had her job and a certain someone to look forward to. The thought made her smile inwardly. Monday couldn't come fast enough.

"Pack your things and leave tonight! I'll only allow you back once you've learnt your lesson properly! Teach you to disrespect me again..."

Her aunt's nasal voice continued, rudely disrupting her happy thoughts.

She wasn't too worried about packing- that the act of scrounging up her few belongings and tossing them into a bag was considered packing was privilege enough. Now the only problem was how she was going to say goodbye to Ella...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wonder what happens next...(; will Ambrose find out? Stay tuned!

-Your fellow ifrit