Ambrose pt 2

The morning went rather normally, at least in the beginning, with him demanding file after blasted file. Sometimes she thought he did it on purpose just to drive her mad. like he was actually using every single one of the files she brought! And worst of all the night she had spent in the dumpster was finally taking its toll on her. Lilly was finding it harder and harder to function at a normal pace, her head felt strange like someone had opened it up and stuffed a bunch of clouds in it and her eyes were starting to shut of their own accord. It took all her effort and willpower just to keep them open. As she attempted to brace her head from drooping onto the desk with her arms, she felt something sharp brush her elbows. Brows furrowing, she looked down at her elbow and found the culprit. On the desk lay a familiar little slip of paper with annoyingly precise handwriting. Hmmm...

She peered at the note for the longest time staring at the words. Bring me bile, flipper no file followed by a string of letters and numbers her brain was unwilling to decipher... hmm, a string...she wondered what he could possibly want with strings...an image of Mr. Ambrose secretly sewing in his office came into her mind prompting her to giggle sleepily, maybe he did have a secret passion for string knitting! who knew? She wondered how she could have possibly missed this vital piece of information. Seemed obvious now that she thought of it! thought of...what was she thinking again? Another wave of sleepiness pulled her eyelids down and made it harder for her to prop her head up...Somewhere in the back of her head, the importance of the file gnawed at her but she shoved it away, it couldn't be that important could it?

zzz zzz

Plink!

zzz zzz

Plink!

zzz zzz

Plink!

Plink!

Blast! Lilly stirred sleepily, eyes still firmly shut as another annoying Plink! sounded. Couldn't she sleep in peace? What was that sound anyway? Ella was usually up earlier, but she was never this noisy... lazily she opened one eye and became the prime target of a cylinder tube as it shot out of the wall with a 'plink!' Lilly's surroundings came rushing back to her like a hurricane, blast! She was at work! Mr. Ambrose! He was going to kill her!

Hurriedly she opened up the latest note and winced.

Mr Linton

report to my office now!

He was definitely not happy.

Sighing she tried to clear her sleep riddled mind and pushed open the connecting door to his office, not bothering to knock.

He was seated at his desk as usual but rather than focused on a piece of paper or file as was normal, his gaze was already fixed on her, watching.

"Mr. Ambrose, you asked for me?" she attempted, trying to feign ignorance to the fact that she had just fallen asleep at her desk.

Mr. Ambrose stared at her as if she had just grown two extra heads. Then he shook his head as if trying to clear his thoughts and motioned for her to sit down in front of his desk.

That was strange...why was he being so unusually quiet? Not even a harsh remark about her lateness! Not that he was usually a very chatty person but this was different from the usual commanding silence that he normally exuded. This silence seemed more cautious, more quiet, almost as if Mr. Ambrose couldn't decide what to say. She snuck another glance at him- sure enough, his stony face was as non-emotive as always, but his eyes...she might just have imagined it, but those stormy dark eyes seemed more hesitant in their fierceness almost distracted as he looked at her. What was going on in that head of his?