Lancelot flicked an ear at the use of his true name, narrowing his eyes. "...sometimes, you're too casual, sir."

"Aw, but we're friends, Shadz." Sonic stepped in front of him and began to circle him slowly, like a vulture eyeing its prey. Once behind, the king's arms slid around Lancelot's armored waist, his breath tickling the knight's ear as he spoke. "Why do you think I asked you to come alone?"

Shadow felt his cheeks warm instinctively at Sonic's warm, low voice, his head slightly turning so his king could hear him. "I was hoping you would tell me."

Sonic chuckled. "That's why I like you best." At this, he released his hold on Lancelot, who felt his senses return almost instantly. He clenched his fists. How did Sonic have such an alluring power over him?? It was as if the moment Sonic began to speak in that low voice of his, immediately the knight fell into a trance, as if his king were a siren luring him close with the mere sound of his voice.

But he would only end up shipwrecking on the treacherous rocks below, for he was a knight, and he was meant to only serve his king, nothing more.

He looked up to see Arthur watching him, folding his arms and grinning that devilish grin he always wore. "You're so cute when you're frustrated."

Shadow bristled. "My king, please--"

Sonic laughed, both irritating Shadow and causing him to flush with anger and embarrassment. The blue hedgehog turned to walk back up to his throne. "Anyway, Lancelot, since you wanna be formal... I did call you for a reason." Sonic picked up the crown and placed it on his head, looking down at the knight. "I've decided who I want to be as my vassal for the land I've decided to give."

Shadow's ears flicked at this. "Y-You have?" The king did enjoy his speed, but he had made a decision so quickly Lancelot wondered if he had really thought it through.

"Yep," Arthur replied, grinning at Shadow. He continued to stare at the older hedgehog for some time before Lancelot finally caught on, his eyes widening. "My king -- you surely don't mean--"

"You'd better believe it, Shadz!" Sonic snickered, "Youuu are gonna be my vassal!" He continued to chuckle as Shadow simply stared in shock, his jaw hanging open. Then Sonic paused unexpectedly. "Well... kind of." He scratched the back of his head awkwardly. "See, I didn't want it to look weird for us--" Shadow flushed at this -- "So I split the land 3 ways between you, Gwain, and Percival. All of it."

Shadow eyed his king warily, ears folding back. "But, sir, that would mean..." he trailed off as realization struck him.

There would be no land left, because Sonic was not going to remain king.

Seeing the shock on Lancelot's face the king sighed dramatically and put his arms behind his head, beginning to pace, for the blue hedgehog could never stay still for long. "Let's face it, Lance. I'm no good as a king. All these politics, all these rules, all these formalities -- it isn't me. I cant sit here and tell my knights to risk their lives fighting my battles. It's so smothering, Shadow..." Sonic looked down, and for the first time, Shadow saw his king past the brace, prideful, confident barrier Arthur put up. Really, he was tired and worn, suffocated by the pressures it took to sit on that throne, laden with guilt for having to remain "safe" while others risked their lives.

"King" was merely a label for him, Shadow realized. That's why he so detested being acknowledged as such. It was fake, and he knew it.

Sonic took off his crown slowly with a sigh. "I don't deserve this crown," he murmured softly.

Suddenly, he felt strong hands latch onto his arms, pinning him down onto the throne. Ruby orbs glared down at him, stunning him into shocked silence. His breathing immediately quickened, cheeks flushing warmly at how close he and the owner were.

"Now, hedgehog," Lancelot growled in a hushed mutter with any trace of formality in his voice gone, "I will be the first to agree of your ignorance and brashness. You don't think, you rush into action, you have no regard for rules or simple common sense, you hold no respect for high royalty, or any royalty whatsoever."

"Sh-Shadow," Sonic stammered, his emerald eyes stretched wide, but the knight refused to let him speak. "Be silent," the dark hedgehog hissed. "I have listened to you; now it's your turn."

So he continued, "You are the most arrogant; reckless, thoughtless and cocky hedgehog I know. In these ways, you are indeed not fit to be in a position of authority. But..." --At this, Sonic's ears twitched forward -- "... you have a king's heart. You care about your subjects, no matter their social status. You are quick to respond to problems and eager to help others. You're brave and selfless, willing to sacrifice your own safety in order to protect those you love. You aren't bound by unnecessary laws that prohibit your actions or speech. You saved this kingdom," Shadow breathed, his voice a low murmur. "You have your flaws, yes. But do not say you don't deserve that crown. You're more deserving of this position than anyone else I know."

Sonic stared up at him, his cheeks burning under the skin. He could feel Shadow's breath on his already warm face, noses nearly touched, and Shadow's muscular arms easily kept the light hedgehog pinned down.

Seeing Sonic wasn't responding, Shadow continued. "So give up your kingdom if you like. If you feel that's what's best, I won't stop you, but remember, you are still a hero to your people..." the hedgehog's gaze lowered. "...and to me."

Sonic's heart was pounding so loud in his eardrums he was surprised the knight's keen hearing couldn't pick it up. He swallowed, threat dry, before responding. "Heh... you were always s-so formal," he muttered softly, eyelids half closed. Lancelot's grip was just as incredibly gentle as it was strong. He had never meant any harm to his king. The knight still held him down, staring at him with those captivating crimson eyes. Sonic's arms found their way out of Shadow's grip, for at the first sign of movement Shadow had immediately loosened his hold. He bent his arms to fold around the dark hedgehog's neck, gently pulling him closer and expectantly closing his eyes.

It was almost too much for Shadow. Sonic's voice once again held him in a trance; he could only watch the blue hedgehog as the hands against the back of the knight's neck pushed gently, his beautiful emerald eyes sliding shut, his breath on Lancelot's muzzle as their faces grew closer. Shadow's eyelashes fluttered as he leaned forward, drawn to his king's intoxicating scent, his cerulean fur, his soft lips...

Lancelot's eyes snapped open suddenly, and he pulled back from Sonic as if the king had suddenly caught on fire. He stumbled backwards, nearly tripping on his armour and falling.

Sonic opened his eyes and sat up immediately, watching Shadow in shock. "H-Hey, what's wrong," he asked, voice laced with concern, confused as to why his knight would have removed himself so quickly.

Shadow shook his head, putting a palm to it in dismay and despair, his eyes haunted. "No, this cannot be," he gasped, turning away from his king, "My king... you are too thoughtless. You need to consider the consequences of your actions."

"B-But -- But I thought --" Sonic stammered, his heart sinking in his chest like a stone.

"Are we finished? If I am to be one of your vassals, I have duties to attend to." Just as he once more slid on his emotionless mask that he so often wore to shield his feelings, the knight slowly slid on his helmet. "I cannot be detained much longer, my lord."

Sonic's face was crestfallen, his heart being squeezed inside of his chest, his ears pinning back against his head as he watched Lancelot, his fingers digging into the arms of his throne. "Sh-Shadow..."

The knight did not reply.

Sonic swallowed his next words and looked down. "You are dismissed," he muttered softly, voice barely audible.

Shadow dipped his head respectfully, then turned on his heel, metal boots once more clanking in the stone underneath his feet, and left the throne room in silence, as well as the miserable king.