Chapter 1

It was a rare thing to be called upon by King Arthur.

He was a very free-spirited man, hardly ever in his castle. Often seen out and about, he was constantly visiting villages, defending the innocents, and such the like. With the common people, he was well-favored, for he cared about every single one of his subjects, and most everything he did was for them. However, though he was kind-hearted, he did not know much about the politics of being a king; he was not comfortable with laws or restrictions, and even the code of chivalry he threw aside in his carelessness. Trading regulations, war tactics, such things as these could not hold his attention for long, for he did not really hold any interest in them. Though he ruled with justice and fairness, little things like common laws he often didn't heed in his decisions.

So when the king announced he would choose a knight to become one of his vassals, most everyone was surprised -- and yet not. He did need someone to look over the great land he possessed, because of all of his political shortcomings his, yet it was surprising he even knew what a vassal was, let alone how homage worked.

So, when Sir Lancelot was requested to the King's presence, he assumed it was yet another meeting with all the knights -- something Arthur did often when he didn't understand something, needed to figure out a move or settle a dispute he didn't know how to handle -- which was quite often, to say the least.

However, when Lancelot arrived at the double doors that were the entrance to the throne room of the king, he was shocked to see no other knights there. He would have expected the king to have called Percival and he at the very least, but the only other men in armour were the ones stationed to guard the king's door.

He glanced at them in confusion, but they gave nothing away, only taking the handles in unison and opening the doors, presumably for Lancelot to enter.

The dark hedgehog stepped inside the large throne room, the clank of his metal boots muffled by the red carpet he stood upon. He had been here so many times already, he had memorized which tapestries were on the walls, where each flower vase had been set, how many chandeliers hung from the ceiling, and they designs of each of the stained glass windows that allowed light into the room. Although many had strongly advised the king not to put such things in the throne room -- if any enemies attacked the castle, it would gain them easy access inside, they pointed out. But the king simply smiled and announced he should let them come, for the consequence of a room without windows was deemed far greater than a mere enemy attack; such a room without windows was too dark and containing for him, and it felt more like a prison than a throne room in his eyes -- even the jail cells that had bars that allowed some light into them were more appealing. Besides, t'was no room in the castle easier to defend from than the throne room.

Shaking the memories aside, Lancelot slid off his helmet as he approached the throne, tucking it under his arm and taking a knee, the metal of his armour clinking together. "King Arthur."

"Get up, Lance. You're always so formal," came the playful voice which so often irked Lancelot's soul.

He sighed. "King Arthur, 'tis common custom for a knight to kneel before whom he serves," he replied gruffly, not looking up. He heard his king sigh.

"Well then, show me you serve me by standing up, ya martinet."

Lancelot clenched his teeth, biting back a smart reply as he rose back to his feet, looking up at the king with his blazing crimson eyes.

Arthur sat draped over his throne lazily, his legs over the right armrest while his back pressed against the left one. His cape cushioned his slim body on the hard substance, and the knight vaguely noticed the crown hanging askew on the edge of the back of the throne. The king grinned and hopped up, emerald eyes flashing with the playfulness and child-like joy Lancelot's eyes lacked. He stepped down the stairs towards Lancelot, smirking. "Also -- Arthur? Really? I might be king, but I told you, my name is Sonic. Must you always be so formal with me, Shadow?"