Defining Moments - Northern Canada - Chapter 2

Start from the beginning

“Careful,” Ellie warned.  “We might be a bit unstable.”

“Yup - I know,” Brenda replied.  “The tail, what’s left of it, is wedged in these branches here; it looks pretty solid.  Actually, I can stand on this low branch and still reach the door.  Just a sec…”

She briefly disappeared from view, then popped up beside Tony’s window.  She jiggled the door for a second and then managed to wrench it open.  With the right wing strut gone, she was able to crank it right over and the hinges creaked as she pushed it beyond the full open position. Reaching in, she put two fingers on Tony’s neck. Then her hand jerked back.  “Jesus, Ellie,” she said, “He’s got no pulse!”  She looked left and right. “And there’s a gash on his forehead - the blood is all over his cheek and ear.”

It’s okay, Bren,” Ellie said.  “It could just be that his heartbeat is faint.  Feel his chest. Make sure he’s breathing.”

“Oh God, Ellie - you’ve got to be kidding!” Her eyes brimmed with tears.

“You can do it. Bren.  Remember your first aid - look, listen, feel - go on, see if he’s breathing.”

Brenda wiped her cheeks with her hands, then rubbed them on her jeans.  She grabbed the door frame and leaned in to put her ear near Tony’s mouth.  She didn’t feel or hear any breathing.

Ellie waited a few seconds then said. “Well, what do you think?  Is he breathing?” 

Brenda placed the palm of her hand on Tony’s barrel chest as Ellie held her own breath.  “No. Nothing.  He’s not breathing.”

“Okay then, you’re going to need to do CPR on him.”

“I don’t think it will help him, Ellie - his eyes are wide open and they’re completely blank… Just a sec.”  Brenda braced herself with her right hand, then covered Tony’s right eye with her left palm.  She held it there a few seconds before removing it and peering in at his eye.  Then she covered his left eye briefly and did the same check.  “No response in either pupil.  I think… No, I’m sure…” she gulped. “He’s dead, Ellie.”

“First aiders can’t pronounce death, Bren.  You’re going to have to do CPR on him.”

“Remember what they told us on the course?” Brenda asked.  “There is no way we are going to revive him with CPR and it will be hours until help comes.  It would be totally pointless to start CPR on him.  Besides - he’s dead, Ell.  I’m sure of it.” 

“Dead,” Ellie repeated the word, squinting back tears. “Oh shit.”  She and Brenda looked at each other for a few seconds.  Then the throbbing pain in Ellie’s ankle became unbearable. “Ohhh!”  She hunched forward, rocking with the pain. 

“Oh Ellie!” Brenda cried.

Ellie waved her hand.  “No. No. It’s okay, really. Check on Mark, okay?”

“Are you sure?” 

Ellie nodded.