Chapter Twelve: Cats

She knew she had made a mistake. She knew she should apologize for it. She just didn't know how.

She couldn't exactly leave, they weren't on a good side of town and it was the middle of the night. She wasn't stupid enough to try and get home alone. Her head didn't hurt as much as it had, but she wasn't confident in her abilities to fight off random assailants.

She was still on the couch, sitting awkwardly with her hands folded in her lap. The cat seemed to know something was wrong as it was sitting in front of Valentine and continuously meowing at her. One after another the noises sank into her ears. If she didn't do something about this soon she might start bleeding.

She debated taking the cat to Harry to see what's wrong. She just couldn't bring herself to swallow her pride and knock on his door.

So she listened to the cat. And listened to the cat. And listened to the cat.

She couldn't take it. She might explode if she listened any longer.

She scooped the cat up into her arms and marched down the hall. She raised her hand to knock on the door, and debated between her options once again. Maybe she would get used to the cat noises.

No.

She rapped loudly on his door.

It swung open seconds later. Harry stood on the threshold, looking drowsy and confused. The cat was still meowing.

"It won't stop," she said. She held it out to him. She didn't meet his eyes and looked at his hair instead. Through her peripheral vision she could see his face. He was uncomfortable. She didn't blame him.

"She's hungry," he said. His eyebrows were scrunched together.

"I've never had a pet before. Sorry," she said. He brushed past her, and motioned for her to follow. It was the first apology he had ever heard her say. He had a feeling it meant more than she wanted him to think.

She followed him into the kitchen and watched as he opened a can of cat food. At the sight of it, the cat jumped out of Valentines arms and started to paw at Harry's feet.

He chuckled at her and set the can of food down on the floor. She immediately forgot about him and started to munch down the food.

She had to swallow her pride at some point. Now would be a good time to start.

"I'm sorry about what I said earlier. I didn't mean it," she said. She rubbed her hands across her face. They were cold and sweaty. Her heart was beating in her ears.

This was the second apology he had heard her say.

"It's okay. I understand you're stressed as hell," he said. He was watching his cat, not even paying much attention to her. She breathed a sigh of relief and was grateful.

It was 3 am. She had work in the morning.

"You're not going," he said as if he could read her mind. He had turned toward her and was smiling slightly out of the corner of his mouth.

"Yes I am. Niall is depending on me," she said. She was going, and she was going to like it. Plus she needed the money now more than ever, if she was going to help her Dad get through this.

"No. You've got a concussion he'll understand why you can't come in," he said. She wasn't convinced, so he continued, "you can hang out with me too!"

"I don't see how that sweetens the deal."

"Rude. What can I say that'll make you not go to work?" he asked.

She thought for a second and then answered him, "You can buy me coffee and a slice of cheesecake."

He laughed for a long time before agreeing. If keeping this woman healthy and safe meant spending a few bucks he would do it. Although he still couldn't explain why he wanted to.