Her Guardian Angel

Chapter 1

The hail wailing snapped me out of my slumber. I stretched my arms back and let out a soft yawn before laying eyes on her. Everything about her glowed. Her pale soft skin, her bald head, her tiny hands and toes. I glanced up toward her parents. Her mother clung on to her, tears flowing from her eyes, and from that moment I knew the 30 year old brunette loved her child as much as I did.

I wanted nothing more than to promise her parents that I would protect her, but I could do nothing but keep my mouth closed. I was here to keep her safe, not to make small chat. Even I did say a word, the would not hear me. 

I glanced at her father, who stared at his angle in awe. Despite the fact that this man was huge, tears raced down his cheeks. 

Childbirth truly is a beautiful thing. Moments later doctors snatched the newborn from the doctors. 

“What’s going on?” Asked the mother. I looked toward the doctor the high snivelling fading as they get farther away from me. I turn back to the parents, noticing a shadowed figure standing by them. 

“Go get her,” Demands the shadowed figure. I could see a pair of faint white wings poking from his shoulders. I nodded as I raced through the doctors. I couldn’t hear anything but the sound of my baby crying as well as her short sharp breaths and slow heart beats. I focused on the sound, and felt my feet upsurge in speed. The floor beneath me disappeared and before I knew it I was watching an operation unfold in front of me. My baby’s breathing continued to get shorter, and shorter as the seconds ticked by. Under a minute her breathing stopped, causing my heart to sink in my chest. 

BAM!

I had ran directly into a clear glass wall, watching the operation unfold. I pushed the door open, and clumsily stumbled toward my baby. I clenched her hands as the energy flowed through me. I could feel the energy discharge from the bottom of my heart to my shoulder, then down my arm, and drip through my fingertips. A faint golden glow appeared in her chest. I took a step back, hoping I had saved her. 

I couldn’t lose another baby. 

With a heavy sigh, I walked out of the operation room, knowing the only thing I could do was wait. I made my way to the waiting room and saw nothing but a room of unhappy souls guarding their humans. I laid eyes on one stroking the top of ones head. Another pacing in a circle. Each soul doing little things do ease their human’s distress. 

Sweat dripped down my palms. What if I didn’t save her? Just like Cody? Poor guy lived for an hour before I screwed up. The vision frightened me. Instead of doing everything in my power to prevent him from being dropped... I panicked. Before I could calm myself down it had happened. Cody had been dropped. Every fragile bone in his body had shattered. The demon had won, and had taken innocent Cody before he had a chance to live his life. All because of me. 

“Afriel Aasim.”

I turned my head to the direction of the voice, startled to hear my name called. I find myself face to face with the shadowed figure. 

“She’s alive,” He muttered.  “You saved her.” I could feel my heartbeat quicken as I stare at the shadow figure.

“She is?” I exclaimed. Trying to keep my nerves under control, I closed my eyes and listened to her heart beat which beat louder and stronger than ever before. I found myself whisking to her location. And there she was. 

My baby. 

As if she could sense my presents her grey eyes were glued to my direction. 

“Genesis!”  Called her mother. The babies eyes flickered toward her mothers. 

Genesis. 

What a beautiful name for a beautiful baby.