Chapter 19

CHAPTER 19

I walked slowly into the school. The hallways were always loud but today the seemed unbearable. I was as nervous as humanly possible considering I had my first class with Margo and our seating arrangement had us sitting right next to each other.

I walked to my locker and slowly turned in the combination. Every move I made was slow and labored, as though I was dragging my limbs through molasses. I was dreading going to class, and Margo wasn't one to just quit when the going got tough, so I could count on her being at school.

"Hey, stay strong," I turned around and watched as Cameron walked by, talking out of the side of his mouth. He walked past me and down the hall. He was trying not to make it to obvious that something was going on between us. I let out a long breath. I rolled my shoulder back and rotated my neck. I just needed to relax, think of my happy place, a beach maybe. I took one more deep breath, grabbed my books, slammed my locker shut and headed off to class.

It felt like everyone was watching me, even though I knew they weren't since no one knew about Margo or me and Cam. I know Margo wouldn't have told anyone about her scandal, she had too much pride for that. I continued on my way to class, avoiding eyes and keeping my head up. If anyone had been watching me closely they could probably see my lip trembling and notice that Margo wasn't glued to my hip. If anyone had been paying attention they would have noticed something was up.

I stepped into the class and was greeted by a paper airplane flying by my head. It seemed like a millenium since I had last been here even though it was only a day. Yesterday after held enough stress and drama to last a lifetime. It was weird how everyone elses lives could just continue and mine was coming to an abrupt halt.

I walked to my seat and set my books down. Margo was already sitting there with her head down. I kept my gaze straight ahead and felt her glance at me briefly. I heard her blow out a long breath and turn to me.

"Addie," She started. I gave her a pitied look and she stopped.

"Margo, I talked to Cameron last night, and we need to talk to you. After school today. Please don't make excuses or start giving explanations, just come. We all need to talk and I think you need to here what we have to say." She opened her mouth to respond but quickly closed it when I shot her an exsasperated look. She nodded and, looking miserable, turned towards the board.

After that the rest of the day passed in a quick, hazy blur. I didn't want to have to talk to Margo after school. I knew it wouldn't go well, I mean what did I expect her to do, jump for joy and offer to be the godmother of our children? I was just thankful Cameron was going to be there. I didn't even want to imagine trying to tell her on my own.

In what seemed like no time at all the last bell had rang and I was heading to my locker for my backpack. I grabbed my things and, taking a deep breath, headed out to the parking lot. Cameron was already standing by his car as I headed towards him. He smiled and, after realizing what he was doing, quickly stopped. I headed over there and gave out a sigh.

"Hey," He said. "Rough day?"

I shook my head. "No, I just really don't want to be here. This isn't going to be pretty Cameron. I can feel it, I know Margo. She's going to flip and then twist the story around like she knew about us and that's why she cheated, to get back at you. Or some excuse like that. I know Margo, she's not good at owning up to things."

He looked at me and didn't say anything. He seemed to be thinking about what I said. Finally he nodded, "You're right. I don't know why I'm acting happy, I know Margo too. I guess I'm just being selfish, because I'll finally be able to get back at her for cheating on me."

I whipped around. "Cameron! Don't say that. Do you know how that makes me feel? Is that all you think of me? Some way to get back at Margo? She is, or was, my best friend. And I will not be used by you just to get back at her."

"Addie I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I'm just saying that I'm being selfish because I'll finally get to be with someone who makes me happy and she won't be. And you're right I shouldn't be saying that. I mean I used to care about her and that's extremely immature of me. I'm sorry."

I nodded and then smiled. "Don't make me mad at you. I don't have the energy to be angry with two people right now."

He laughed and then stopped. Margo was heading our way, looking left and right like she didn't want anyone to see her. Not like it mattered. The buses had already left and the only peope still milling around were stoners who wouldn't understand what we were talking about anyways.

She made her way to us and looked at us expectantly. "So, what's this about?" She asked flippantly. I felt my mouth drop, but I quickly caught myself and gave a abrupt cough. I looked at Cameron and prayed he wasn't as nervous as I was and would be able to make it through this calmly.

"Margo, we have something we need to tell you." I said, keepin my eyes anywhere but on Margo. She looked uninterested but on closer inspection she was flushed and her eyes were shifting around.

"What?" She huffed. Her foot started tapping, giving the illusion that she had better things to do, but I knew she did this when she was nervous.

Cameron scratched his head and blew out a long breath. "Um, well, me and Addie are sort of seeing each other."

Margo looked disgusted. "What do you mean by seeing each other? Do you mean like looking at her, because if that's the case then I'm seeing her too."

"I think you know what he means Margo," I said quietly.

Margo looked stunned. I wanted to puke and I looked to Cameron for comfort. He didn't look any better, except I caught a hint of anger behind his stare. Margo raised her hands and huffed.

"Is this a joke? You're joking right? You cannot be serious!"

"And why not Margo?" I said, getting angry. How dare she judge me when she was no better. This was ridiculous and I was glad Cameron was there for comfort. "You cheated on Cameron and I was there for him. I was there for him to talk to when you were off swapping spit with strangers. Cameron knew, and he waited it out to see if you would change, if you would stop, because that's the kind of guy he is. But I knew you wouldn't change, because I know you Margo. You're selfish, always looking out for number one."

Margo looked like she was ready to stab me. I immediatly regretted everything I had just said. It had just come out. Cameron was silent as he waited for Margo to reply. Finally Margo took a breath. I braced myself. "You bitch!"

And then she lunged.